CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Hides in a Rack

Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Dennis Gulla
Hides in a Rack

I have a question for those who have their snakes in a rack system with tubs. Do you have hides in your drawers? Years ago, when I was breeding, I never had hides in my drawers. My snakes all did well and I was successful with my breeding. Now that I’m getting back into it and doing research I’ve noticed a lot of individuals suggesting that all snakes should have hides. Not one, but two on either end of the enclosure.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Twolunger
I use paper towel rolls for the young corns but they seem to prefer hiding under their water bowls. I can get larger cardboard rolls at the local printers or carpet stores. Most of the time the adult corns are not hiding, but looking to see what's going on in the room. I
like disposable hides.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Frank Pinello
I lay news paper over the aspen bedding. Most like to rest between the newspaper and aspen. Still some like to burrow down into the aspen. Still other like to rest on top of the paper.
Also I feed my corns in their racks and I like the fact they are eating on the paper rather than on the aspen.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Dennis Gulla
Yes, I agree, I wouldn’t feed on aspen! I used to feed them directly in the drawer. I used newspaper as a substrate. If they wanted to go under the paper they could, but most didn’t.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
SnakeCreations
I throw any disposable container in: toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, cut up egg cartons and so on. I like that when they are soiled I just throw them away.

-Tonya

Old 05-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
Delacruz
Does someone have a successful enclosure without any hides at all and snakes still doing well?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
Frank Pinello

Make sure they have a place to hide. Even if the snake seems to be a calm and cool dude. It better to be sure your snake feels secure when needed.

Disposable hides are best for the reasons others mentioned in the posts above.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Dennis Gulla
I agree, hides are necessary in most every enclosure. Referring specifically to Delacruz’s post, I was inquiring specifically for drawers in a rack system. The drawer it self is technically a hide.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
I lay news paper over the aspen bedding. Most like to rest between the newspaper and aspen. Still some like to burrow down into the aspen. Still other like to rest on top of the paper.
Also I feed my corns in their racks and I like the fact they are eating on the paper rather than on the aspen.
I had been considering doing this, especially when I expand. Whenever I've left paper towels in cages, I have occasionally found snakes hiding underneath them. It gives them the security that leaf litter might in the wild while also providing a substrate-free surface to eat from.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google