CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heatmats

Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
markcoss1@sky.com
Heatmats

We've had our corns for approximately 10 years ,they have heatmats in their vivs which cover 25% of floor space, when we purchased new ones today the shop assistant told us they should be on a thermostat, we have never used them before and they have been fine , just looking for some feedback on the heatmat thing and should we use thermostats. Thanks

Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
some of those heat mats can hit 140 degrees. Have you ever measured the temp of one? What will happen if your snake(s) come into contact with it?

All heat sources should have thermostats. I have a thermostat on my heater at home.

The ideal temp for a corn snake is room temp on one end (70 to 75 degrees) and 82 to 88 on the other end (85 middle of the range is what I keep mine at). If you don't have a thermostat, how do you accomplish this?

Now I will say this, many years ago, (like 35 to 40 years ago) I had Boa Constrictors, which like 91 degree heat. I, like you, had heat pads but no thermostats. I'm not even sure if reptile thermostats were around back then. But I laid a thermometer on the glass bottom of the cage directly over the heat pad one day just to see how hot it got and was surprised to see 137 degrees. Realizing this was bad for a snake, I started placing folded newspaper on top of it, and then measuring again. I ended up with about 1 inch of newspaper to dissipate the 137 degree heat to a safe 91 degrees, and for many many years, that's what I did, and the snakes were fine.

I do use a thermostat today. It's just much safer, easier and no need for all that newspaper.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Twolunger
Thank the shop assistant for giving you good advice. Usually you pay at the register, take the item home and then read the directions, which may or may not discuss the thermostat. Having said that, some heat mats are sold with stated wattage and don't get hot enough to do damage to a snake, but they are usually small pads. I don't trust anything with electricity running through it, so always use a thermostat but also double check by using a thermometer with a probe.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
DeuceRon
I'm also going to agree that a thermo is the way to go. That's a no brainer decision in my opinion. It's just piece of mind.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Syris71
I use this thermostat with my heat pads.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I check regularly with a temp gun though to be sure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google