CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Supersize corn

Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #71
Gintha
Likewise... my brain hurts from reading this.. and no pictures ~,~

Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #72
Preita
lol but we all check back because we are all curious to see if a picture will materialize.

it probably wont and I still think that Miami is the beafiest snake I have seen ;D

Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 PM   #73
ecreipeoj
Oh well, it was probably a Rat Snake anyway.

If anybody finds a HUGH melanistic Corn in the wild, send it my way.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #74
CrazyCorn
I don't know if anyone remembers this big girl? She was a solid 5-5.5ft.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #75
Taceas
As much as he was being an egotistical person...I do have to agree with him.

I have issues about collecting adult specimens. I don't think its fair to the animal. I've caught wild black rats and kept them for a couple of weeks, but their longing to get back out broke me.

I don't care if you collect the few stray hatchlings. But to collect a gravid female and let her lay eggs, but I'd much rather see her released back in the wild where she belongs afterwards. Making more natural beauties. I just don't think it's ethical, at least in my code of ethics. My ethics also extend to people who collect an area dry and then sell off their finds. There's just something inherently wrong with that picture.

Look at how well cornsnakes have evolved with their different colors to meet their different habitat needs. Pretty soon, everyone collecting all the "pretty" snakes are going to find the species has made itself ugly to avoid collection.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #76
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
My ethics also extend to people who collect an area dry and then sell off their finds. There's just something inherently wrong with that picture.
There is some validity to this statement. There are some isolated localities that have a specific micro-climate specific to a species of snakes that could be harvested into extinction by commercial collectors. Good examples of this are some of the Mountain King Snakes and islander localities. I have found some of these micro-climate areas of California and Baja Mountain King Snakes and it could be possible to destroy a locality population due to the isolated areas of good habitat, but it would most likely take dynamite. Heavy collecting in these areas would have a serious impact on the population in any event. The San Francisco Garter Snakes is another good example. They only have one small area left near the airport to live. Appropriate measures have been taken to ensure their survival.

The above circumstances do not apply to Corn Snakes in Florida. I have been to Florida many times and it is more like a jungle than a micro-climate. I do not believe that any amount of commercial collecting of Corn Snakes in Florida, even if we enlisted the entire efforts of our armed forces, would cause any long term effect on the Corn Snakes survival. It is legal to collect Corn Snakes in Florida and it is legal to commercially collect Corn Snakes in Florida with the proper permits. The authorities have studied this issue and found that commercial collecting of Corn Snakes in Florida does not have a significant impact on wild populations. It is literally like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Look at how well cornsnakes have evolved with their different colors to meet their different habitat needs. Pretty soon, everyone collecting all the "pretty" snakes are going to find the species has made itself ugly to avoid collection.
I believe this is a joke. It would take many life times of our armed forces commercially collecting Corn Snakes to cause this type of "evolution".

I don’t believe that most people who think it is unethical to collect a wild caught snake has actually field collected. It is extremely difficult to find one single snake while field collecting on foot. Field collectors can destroy habitat, which I have seen, but sometimes they are creating more habitat in some cases. Collecting snakes by road hunting is much more productive, but even then, there are many more dry nights than successful ones. If these snakes are living by the road, and cross them to “sun bath“ (thermo regulate), then they will soon be eliminated from the population in a very short time anyway.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #77
RyanR
I also want to see the pics of that monster snake!!!

no more arguing.... make a new thread for ytour thots.. not here

Old 12-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #78
ecreipeoj
New Thread

This thread was high jacked long ago and taken off topic. I did start a new thread for the original topic of this thread in my personal forum which I can control and keep on topic. I invite all of you that have posted photos of Super Sized Corns here to post them in this new thread. I would also like to see photos of other species that are extra large and stories of large snakes are also welcome. The photos of the Corns do not have to be Super Sized, but if they are one of the largest Corns or Snakes that you have, then please post them for all of us to see.
XXXL Corn Snakes

Old 12-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #79
Baba-Lou
OK now I seriously Do not Want to continue this arguement in anyway. But arn't all corns and all captive bred snakes originated from Wildcaught? Why are we all argueing about catching a w/c corn, or stubbling upon a wild corn only to strengthen our breeding lines. I know for fact yes there are people like OCfinfan that are totally against or just don't want to see certain species decimated due to having w/c. But why can't we all see that all animals that are domesticated were once wild themselves? And on another note. Isn't that why we breed them? To maintain that number or keep it increasing, to make sure that that species does not go exstint or endangerd?

OK well thats done. Just needed to let that out. but then again thats only MHO.

OK so where is this illusive Monster of a snake picture? :P

Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #80
princess
I've bugged Martin for the photo and he told me it was taken on someone elses camera and they were meant to send him the photo by e-mail and never did and he's lost touch since...so I guess we won't see this one as it turns out I would have loved to have seen it too...in real life would have been even better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google