CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 01-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #21
eddie1976
Well we do not want to start a WC vs CB war. THat wouold be dumb, but express opinions away. No one will prbably be swayed one way or the other. But this is an interesting topic. But new blood is needed just to keep negative recessively heritable traits from becoming the norm. One way to put it on a smaller scale, is the major occurances of hemophilia among the royals back when they married within strict family trees, right?

Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Itsnowingcorns
Yes I understand what you and Quigs are getting at, and corn snakes are already heavily inbred to my knowledge. Just, they should only be caught for that really, not personal pleasure. IMO!!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #23
gardenmum
I personally do not feel there is anything wrong with someone collecting WC corns if they can and feel so inclined. And this is my reasoning.

You do not find a ton of people out combing the country side looking for WC corns. So it is not like people are out there wipping out the wild populations. Most people that catch and collect them are doing so to improve their lines in some way, whether it be new blood or a paritcularly interesting speciman that they hope may hold the key to a new type. There are a few people who do collect to sell, but obviously that is not the norm otherwise you would see a myriad of adds with wild caughts for sale, which we do not see. Wild caught specimens are definitely not in high demand as the CB morphs far outshine most WC and people are more attracted to the CB's, and without a lucrative market the incentive to catch them for profit is very dimineshed. So, I do not feel that the demand for WC specimens posses any threats to the wild populations.

I am sure that the amount of these animals that are run over on the roads yearly FAR outweighs any impact that collectors make on the species. This is a shame, but an unavoidable problem.

So, if some people really want to add a wild caught speciman to their collection for their reasons, I see no problem with it. Lucky for all of us corn fans, the people who first started collecting and keeping them as "pets" have allowed us to reap the benefits by the present hobby we have. Do we "NEED" more wild caughts to aid the corn hobby? I would say the argument to say NO would be right. But does what collecting that occurs harm the wild population? I also don't think so. Heck, when the first herping of corns happened years back, that was when the pull on the WC populations would have been high and yet it did not dessimate the species.

Given all this and the fact that more are probably killed by people who "hate" snakes and kill any they see in their yards than by the collector and the fact that at least with the collector the snake is not being killed, I have to say definitely no, I do not feel it is wrong or bad to collect them.

NOW if you said people were collecting them by the thousands for the sake of killing them, than yes, I would be up in arms over it. But as it stands, I do not feel I have a right to judge if someone wants to add a WC to their collection. And I also don't feel I should judge if that person is collecting one for the joy of owing a WC specimen. It is no different than us owning the CB ones, just because ours are CB does NOT mean that they are "happy" being in confinement. So, if someone owns a CB corn, they really are not any different than someone owning a WC one in my opinion. It is the care they give the snakes they own that is HIGHLY important.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #24
CrazyCorn
No, I am not saying that they are wrong for disagreeing with me, I just merely used it as an example of how different the two sides of the ocean are and think. This is not an argument, trust me, I just feel strongly that it is ok to collect corns and I always will, There is an ample amount of corns still in the wild, I start seeing them around February and I was still catching them until december 16th, they all were with in one mile of my house, the total number this year was around 20+ of all ages and looks. I still don't see why you are so bothered by this, in all reality if anyone should be worried it should be us over here on this side of the ocean, why not focus more of the poaching of more endangered species like Shingle back skinks and such.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #25
CrazyCorn
Quote:
Just, they should only be caught for that really, not personal pleasure.
Why do you feel this way? I feel keeping one or more corns for pleasure to be fine, I do so myself. Does that make me evil? Just because I like the beauty and alot of the different attitudes of WC's? Do you think they are being poached by the thousands or something? Trust me they are not. What is wrong with keeping a WC for pleasure? I do so since I like to see the beautiful babies they throw. You seem to be changing your story now, 1st ITS BAD, 2nd I feel its wrong, 3rd Its ok for new blood, 4th now what? Oh its ok as long as you don't do it on a monday?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #26
eddie1976
This is a little off topic but I like that little beauty you found on the road. THe pic on the website is great!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #27
Itsnowingcorns
CornCrazy, I changed my mind about WC corns for stronger bloodlines, I had never thought of this, that's why. Why are you being repeatedly rude to me? Am I not allowed to disagree with WC just because I live in a different country? I have no problem with your judgement, you can enjoy catching wild corns all you want, it's just a thing I disagree with that's all. Can you please stop the offensive posts?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #28
CrazyCorn
Thanks Eddie, I do not feel as though my posts are rude, I am sorry you feel that way. I would actually like my questions answered I have asked them a couple times. But whatever. YOU said it took you time to build up courage to make this post so did you not expect some hard ball questions?

Old 01-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #29
Itsnowingcorns
I have answered all of you questions CrazyCorn, if you want to be rude to me do it over PM. Tell me anymore questions I have missed if you want.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #30
CrazyCorn
PM'ing is not for being rude. Here are the questions.
Quote:
What is wrong with keeping a WC for pleasure?
Quote:
why not focus more of the poaching of more endangered species like Shingle back skinks and such.
Quote:
Quote:"no matter how much people talk to me about the good of WC I just can't accept it" So why did you start up this thread anyway? You even said you just can't accept it so why did you start this thread? You want to have "petty" arguments about it?
Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google