• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I moved and got a new neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing pieces of this puzzle come together, and the picture is not pretty.

A young kid online at all hours of the night, most likely unsupervised,that's bad enough....but on a school night?

And the disrespectful way that he behaved, until his tall tales were revealed as untruths and an adult was contacted....how did he ever get the idea that acting this way is acceptable?

I was a kid once too, and I never would have DREAMED of behaving that way.

It seems as though someone is not doing right by this kid...

He's three hours ahead of us, Wade. It was probably 6:15am when he posted it...just before school, would be my guess...;)

We're all cool with it David. One thing though, what in the hell are you doing on the internet at four oclock in the morning?

I'm pretty sure the post time converts to your local time, so he did post at 4:14 am his time. (His post time says 5:14 am when I look at it anyway.)

D80

I'm seeing pieces of this puzzle come together, and the picture is not pretty.

A young kid online at all hours of the night, most likely unsupervised,that's bad enough....but on a school night?

And the disrespectful way that he behaved, until his tall tales were revealed as untruths and an adult was contacted....how did he ever get the idea that acting this way is acceptable?

I was a kid once too, and I never would have DREAMED of behaving that way.

It seems as though someone is not doing right by this kid...

He lives in Virginia, which is on EST, making his post at 6:15 AM. Personally, I think that whatever time this kid makes his posts if of no concern of anyone.

I've had about enough of the rudeness and name calling and just plain BS that has arisen due to this thread. I have only a short time in the mornings to spend on this forum and I really don't care wasting it on reported posts because of it. One more member making one more snide remark will force me to close this thread and possibly ban a few members for awhile. Get it back on topic and drop the rest!

Susan,
You have every right to close this thread.
It did go quite off topic.

But I believe that threatening to ban members here for stating their opinions is dead wrong. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Beth Duprey

Susan,
You have every right to close this thread.
It did go quite off topic.

But I believe that threatening to ban members here for stating their opinions is dead wrong. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Beth Duprey

Hey Beth. Susan didn't threaten to ban members for stating their opinions; she threatened bans if another snide remark is made. Snide remarks are usually inflammatory remarks, and inflammatory remarks are against the rules. To me, Susan is just applying forum rule #7 to this situation:

7) CROSSING THE LINE - Members who let disagreements get out of hand, post inflammatory responses (personal attacks), or use foul language will receive a 3-Day ban from the forum. This is a time to cool down, collect your thoughts, and come back and become a valuable contributor to the community. If it happens again, you will receive a permanent ban. It may seem harsh, but rules have to be in place to keep the forum a positive place free of animosity amongst its members.

Sure, there is sometimes a fine line between what is acceptable and what is inflammatory and/or snide. In these cases, semantics and diplomacy can be a member's friends.

Thanx Deano,
Hadn't had my coffee yet and was feeling snarky.
Good morning!

And David,
one request......
Prove me wrong,
please.....

Last edited:
Hey Beth. Susan didn't threaten to ban members for stating their opinions; she threatened bans if another snide remark is made. Snide remarks are usually inflammatory remarks, and inflammatory remarks are against the rules. To me, Susan is just applying forum rule #7 to this situation:

Sure, there is sometimes a fine line between what is acceptable and what is inflammatory and/or snide. In these cases, semantics and diplomacy can be a member's friends.

That may very well be, but I can honestly say that I have not called anyone names in public or private. I also dopn't think ANY of my replies have been less than respectful.

It's a shame the response I got the one and only time I requested a moderator's assistance, if you ask me. Not only a shame but downright rude and uncalled for.

Getting back on track
--

10-14-08060.jpg

I love the shape of this snake's head.

I'm very ashamed of my mathematical error. I should have known to add an hour instead of subtract an hour.

D80

Great pics..thanks for sharing.
The only comment I wish to make that is "off topic" is that all venomous snakes should be treated with respect, regardless of an LD rating. All North American pit vipers have the ability to cause permanent damage to a person and to downplay that can certainly send the wrong message to those without knowledge who might stumble upon this thread.

I've got to admit; I feel a little picked on being included in that statement Susan.

You're not the only one. There is a HUGE difference between telling someone there information is wrong, and calling someone an idiot. I certainly never called anyone any names. And that has nothing to do with "diplomacy" and "semantics"...it's a fact...

I find it unfortunate that enjoying the forum takes precedence over moderating the forum, and because of that...threats are made. I find it rude and unnecessary....

You're not the only one. There is a HUGE difference between telling someone there information is wrong, and calling someone an idiot. I certainly never called anyone any names. And that has nothing to do with "diplomacy" and "semantics"...it's a fact...

I find it unfortunate that enjoying the forum takes precedence over moderating the forum, and because of that...threats are made. I find it rude and unnecessary....

Well, I spent all morning reading this entire thread and the barage of PM's I received. I can't find the post where anyone used the word idiot? Maybe it was deleted. I think Susan was pushed to the brink by the constant bickering being exchanged. I feel she may have been a bit extreme, but not totally uncalled for.
If I spent more time moderating than enjoying the forum, I'm sure I would find fault with a lot of posts.
Since David seems to have apologized, I think it's best to drop it.
Trust me, if I see anything else posted by him like I saw in this thread, he'll be on vacation again.........a long one.

Speaking to the new "off topic" topic . . . ;) . . . I had someone PM me just the other day asking me about "inflammatory posts" and asking me how I get away with some of the things I say/do in some threads. I had to stop and think about that for a minute and do some internal poking and prodding (which I tend to do more often than some people may think) and came up with the following: "I would like to think that I attack the facts and not the person." Have I slipped, sure have, everyone does at some point, but for the most part I think I do a pretty good job of attacking the facts. I would agree that I think this thread has had a majority of "fact attacking" and few personal attacks.

I also believe that Susan (and Deano and Mike) are doing a fantabulistical job. I believe they grant US quite a bit of latitude to take care of situations on our own and rarely step in with a heavy hand or foot. I personally view Susan's post as more of a reminder to stay on the facts than a threat of banning. Maybe I'm wrong?! :shrugs:

This is still the absolute best place on the net for cornsnake discussion, among other things! :crazy01:

D80

That may very well be, but I can honestly say that I have not called anyone names in public or private. I also dopn't think ANY of my replies have been less than respectful.

C'mon, Chris. I don't want to call you out here, but the following quote from you doesn't seem to support your statement above:

"But NOBODY is gonna listen to a snot-nosed 14 year old kid talk down to them."

It's a shame the response I got the one and only time I requested a moderator's assistance, if you ask me. Not only a shame but downright rude and uncalled for.
The mods don't work as a committee, and we generally defer to the first responder, so I can't speak to this.

I believe that Wade was only implicated as one of the people confused over snakemaster24's posting time. And maybe you're right, and the person who called you an "idiot" in the PM deserves disciplinary action. But you can't deny that the "snot-nosed" comment I quoted above really DOES have something to do with semantics and diplomacy. I guess you could wriggle out of a name-calling claim by saying that you meant that ANY "snot-nosed" kid would not be listened to and that you didn't call snakemaster24 that name directly, but let's be real. It's part of the difficulty of moderating this place. There's a "game" that's played here, and it's really tiring to referee it sometimes.

If we truly penalized all incidents of inflammatory posting (and rule-breaking in general), there would be few of us left (and I probably wouldn't be one of the "survivors"). Sometimes my take on things is to be very tolerant, and just nudge things in one direction or another with a post or two. Sometimes that works, and other times I fail miserably.

What can I say? I don't think that enjoying the forum takes precedence over modding it for any of the mods. HOWEVER, I can understand how disappointing it is when a mod's first visit of the day here involves responding to five PMs and 2 "report post" emails over the same old crap. It can make a person downright edgy! ;)

"Bada Bing"... now wouldn't THAT be a great name for a snake!

As far as field collecting and venomous stuff and all that, I wish I could do it. I love to see Chris' pictures and hear his stories about the experiances he has in the field. But if I DID field collect, if I saw ANY species I didn't know, I would proceed with caution and would use wussy gloves on even the species I did know! Yup, I'm a wuss.....

I had someone PM me just the other day asking me about "inflammatory posts" and asking me how I get away with some of the things I say/do in some threads. I had to stop and think about that for a minute and do some internal poking and prodding (which I tend to do more often than some people may think) and came up with the following: "I would like to think that I attack the facts and not the person." Have I slipped, sure have, everyone does at some point, but for the most part I think I do a pretty good job of attacking the facts. I would agree that I think this thread has had a majority of "fact attacking" and few personal attacks.
D80

I was the one PMing Brent since I was unsure what "inflammatory posts" meant. Due to his ability of sending his messages across without a backlash (most of the time), I wanted to know what I was doing wrong. Deano's "Enough" in the other thread was what triggered this question, and it really made me stop cold to reflect about my posts.

I'm happy to know my question made you "stop and think" Brent. :) :sidestep:

As far as Susan's post, maybe she was having a tough morning. She is a human moderator, that can happen sometimes. :cheers:

Like Rat Snakes, babies look similar

Sorry I havent posted in a while .... Been busy moving to Troy, Alabama. But I finally got to go out with the camera. And sure enough I got this little brute.
Pretty copperhead
10-14-08060.jpg

I also found a mantis.. I hadnt seen one of these in almost 14 yrs.

10-14-08001.jpg

And this really pretty salamander
10-14-08019.jpg

Its great to have some access back for the computer. Even if it is the coffee shop up the street. anyways hope you enjoy Later.......

I have seen and caught many newborn Cottonmouths and Copperheads throughout Louisiana, (the deep south), especially in Kisatchie National Forest in October and early November, looking for places to spend the winter. All have lemon yellow to fluorescent yellow tail-tips, and I have caught baby copperheads with extraneous markings (rare), and baby cottonmouths with perfect clean hour-glass, or hersheys kiss shapes, as someone said (also rare). The baby copperheads tend toward a pink, orange, or copper color--pretty light. The baby cottonmouths tend toward an olive tinge. That is in Louisiana.
But I would never call anyone wrong. Just try to humbly give clear information for a correct identification.
In my opinion, in the picture originally posted, it appears to be a baby copperhead at first glance, but the dark stripe down the lateral side of the face, though, is pretty trademark cottonmouth.
Regional variations in the appearance of populations can be great, and should never be underestimated.
Both are poisonous. As adults copperheads, in general, are less likely to bite. Two snakes the same size have the same volume of venom and the same concentration of venom. Individual dispositions may very greatly. Treat all pit vipers, and any other poisonous snake with extreme caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back