CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Biggest Wild Snakes You've Ever Found

Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
Cflaguy
I've caught several over 7 feet.....

I remember an Indigo we never got a good measurement on because we released him on the hunt but he was over 7. I've got two Yellow Rats at 7'2." And the biggie, an Eatern Coachwhip at 7'9."

Largest venomous, two Eastern Diamondbacks under the same wood pile at 5'10" and 5'8."

Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael823 View Post
At first glance that Timber Rattler looked like a young Anaconda, gorgeous snake!
That was exactly what I thought!! Except for the head...

Old 08-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #23
alan
I occasionally see black rat snakes at work but I've seen one for the last five years that is much bigger than the others. It's not a record rat snake by far but it tops the rest around there, best measurement I have is 5.5 of my 13" long boots and the snake was kinked along its full length, I guess it's about 6.5'. It's also not the prettiest snake, with a heavy body and several scars, it's easy to ID. I don't have a full length pic or anything for scale. I do have a crappy phone video but I'll spare you from that, it reminds me of the "Sasquatch walking in the woods" video but not as clear.

I've never picked it up even though I had the chance because it's never been in a place it wouldn't be safe when I saw it. I only move the ones in danger of getting run over or being killed with a shovel by our ophidiophobes.
Last time I saw it was last June near this rat snake about 3.5' long.

The big snake had smears of something liquid with dirt stuck in it near the tail. The pics are from that day. I'm thinking the small one was a male? Either way I call the big one Marge.
I have not seen Marge this year.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #24
Caryl
C'mon Alan, I love Sasquatch videos! I love those old black rats. :-)

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
Shaky
TX rat over 6', and indigo snake also 6+

Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #26
knox
Black Rat Snake rescued off a busy road in Knoxville, TN - Farragut specifically - beside a graveyard. Largest I have ever seen in the wild, let alone caught.

After pics, I took it back to the graveyard and released it well off the road in the back of the graveyard.

I know people have a way of exaggerating snake length, but I am 5'10" and this snake was about as long as my armspan. I would say it was close to 5 and a half feet, possible a little longer.

Oh, and the snake was as gentle as a kitten.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #27
The_Thunderer
Man, I've gotta move somewhere where I can find/see black rats!! The ones on here are AWESOME!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #28
vetusvates
No pictures, but one Buttermilk Snake over five feet, and one close to six.
Black Rat Snake...close to six feet, maybe over.
I pursued, with fear in my heart, a Coachwhip that I know was longer, but did not catch it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #29
The_Thunderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
No pictures, but one Buttermilk Snake over five feet, and one close to six.
Black Rat Snake...close to six feet, maybe over.
I pursued, with fear in my heart, a Coachwhip that I know was longer, but did not catch it.
LOL... Oh, yeah... they are quite "fun" aren't they?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #30
speirsaaron
aw i haven seen any wild snakes because i live in ireland >.< its sucks ,st.patrick sent em all away he messed up big time ..lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google