CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My future display

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
raynefyre
My future display

Got kinda bored tonight, fiancee is sound asleep already lol, so i decided to design my future snake display:

-at the moment it will be 4'7" tall by 5'3" long, but i will probably add another row of display cages to make it taller and hold two more adults.
-the display cages are the same size as a 20 gallon long tank, 30"x12"x12"
-the shelving I plan to keep sterilite containers of babies in, each cubicle is 7"x14"x12"
-the cabinet will be used to hide electronics like the thermostat and cables as well as store other excess supplies.

Ideas, comments, suggestions all welcome. I wanna perfect this as much as possible before I build it, so any pro secrets shared would be AWESOME! Also I am a master carpenter and builder, so I have access to pretty much everything possible so don't worry about ideas being over the top, lol.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Jenstar
That looks really nice.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Suzy
That looks awesome! The only thing I would change is to add ventilation to the larger display cages. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it couldn't hurt.
Now I have one question: Can you build one for me too?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
raynefyre
Thanks Jen

Here's the display with the extra row, I like it a lot better now, its 5'9" tall now.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
raynefyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
That looks awesome! The only thing I would change is to add ventilation to the larger display cages. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it couldn't hurt.
Now I have one question: Can you build one for me too?
I didnt draw them in the picture but I planned on possibly adding 4 vent holes in the front plexi glass and definitely using peg board on the backside so my babies dont suffocate.

Haha, I could totally build you one Suzy, I just have no clue how much shipping would be O_O but if you really wanted one I would be delighted to make you one!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Suzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynefyre View Post
I didnt draw them in the picture but I planned on possibly adding 4 vent holes in the front plexi glass and definitely using peg board on the backside so my babies dont suffocate.

Haha, I could totally build you one Suzy, I just have no clue how much shipping would be O_O but if you really wanted one I would be delighted to make you one!
That makes sense! As long as you've got ventilation for them, that's all that matters. And I really like the 2nd one with an extra row! That looks awesome.

Maybe one day, i'll commission you to build something for me. Shipping would be absolutely insane, so i'd have to make a trip up there.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
raynefyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Maybe one day, i'll commission you to build something for me. Shipping would be absolutely insane, so i'd have to make a trip up there.
Im planning this thing will be really big and heavy, so when you do bring a friend (or 2 or 3) and a truck! :P

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
raynefyre
Im pondering as far as the floors of the cages go, any ideas for what to use to line the floor? I dont want bacteria and moisture to build up in the wood.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
amanda007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynefyre View Post
Im pondering as far as the floors of the cages go, any ideas for what to use to line the floor? I dont want bacteria and moisture to build up in the wood.
My husband is planning on building something along these lines (though much smaller, we only have one corn (for now!)), and was talking about cutting a piece of plexi to fit the bottom, then using a non-toxic caulk to seal the edges to the sides and back.

There is probably an easier way to do it, but that's all I've got!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
amanda007
PS:

Is it easier to have the doors swing down vs. up? I've seen people make them both ways, but was wondering if there was a "plus" to this design that they weren't mentioning.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google