CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #91
cornsnakekid92
the only thing that the rehostat will keep constant is the flow of energy to a heatmat, but the temp will fluctuate the same as a room temp will.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #92
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
the only thing that the rehostat will keep constant is the flow of energy to a heatmat, but the temp will fluctuate the same as a room temp will.
Ya, thus "rheostat", Chris, and not "thermostat".

regards,
jazz

Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #93
Bustacapp
Talking

Bump great thread even though it's a few years old that just tells me the people who have done this either burned there house down and dont have a computer to warn everyone or the ones the have made are working great with no problems

Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #94
JoannaD
They work great, even the ones my 8 anf 10 year olds made for me!

Joanna

Old 05-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #95
howhigh402
wow thanks you saved me lots of money doing it this way...just one question once you get it on the right setting how do u keep it from being hit and getting changed?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #96
Flagg
On mine I put a little mark on the knob with a permanent marker and just remember at what position it should be normally. This of course flluctuates with the room temperature, which is why a thermostat is much better.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #97
howhigh402
For anyone that is electronically disabled i found a dimmer switch at target that has an allready intergreated outlet on it..it is a little more then 7 dollars but it works

Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #98
Cegninedorf
I just had to respond/bump this thread for anyone who hasn't seen it before -- because I love it just that much...I just made 4 more of these (the dual-outlet version) -- now coming to a grand total of 8 & I have saved so much money and frustration of dealing with overheating UTHs by making these. Yeah for homemade rheostats!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #99
DdotSpot
I'm glad this was helpful. Boy I sure need to get back on here! I miss all of you and please don't burn your house down building one of these! Remember to use lots of electrical tape to tape all connections and terminals.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #100
DdotSpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxom1957
If you look around your neighborhood hardware store, there is a dual-switch replacement that only takes up one space. It uses the same cover as an outlet, but has switches that operate side-to-side rather than up and down in each of the outlet spaces. You use a standard two outlet cover plate rather than a switch-and-outlet plate. They're commonly used in bathrooms that have had an exhaust fan retrofitted, so are easy to find.
Yessir, they make 2 and 3 switch combinations for a heat/vent/light or other example. But Its not that easy to find a dimmer combination. You CAN find them (like for a fan/light or light/light) but you are going to pay upwards of $35 each for them around here. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google