CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cleaning the tank and objects

Old 12-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Em.Mo.Clark
Cleaning the tank and objects

Hey guys, I'm needing some help. So, I clean out Brego's tank every month (as in, completely change out his bedding) in addition to spot cleaning when he poops, but after about 5 months of having him, I'm really wanting to actually cleanse his tank and his rock hide and ledge. But I'm concerned about what cleaner to use... Would hot water and Dawn dish soap be okay to use as long as everything is well rinsed before placing him back in his habitat? What do you use to clean your tank and hides/water dishes/ledges/etc? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Dragonling
I use a diluted chlorhexadine solution for average cleaning days, a bit of Dawn detergent for heavy scrubbing. For really hefty deep cleans or cage swaps, F10SC is an excellent disinfectant.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I use a diluted chlorhexadine solution for average cleaning days, a bit of Dawn detergent for heavy scrubbing. For really hefty deep cleans or cage swaps, F10SC is an excellent disinfectant.
Great advice there. I have the luxury of keeping my snakes in rack containers, so clean them weekly by swapping out the dirty containers. I clean with a mixture of Dawn and 10% ammonia. Then I spray the ammonia full 10% strength, leave for a while, and then rinse thoroughly. I have heard good reviews on the F10SC, but I am still researching it to find out if it kills coccidia.
Most veterinarians use it in their facilities with good results.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Vinegar, Bleach, Chlorhexadine, Dawn Soap, and really almost any disinfectant you'd use in your home. However, the stronger stuff like Bleach and Chlorhexadine, as well as others should be diluted. (I have used 2 tablespoons of bleach to 1 cup of water before with no adverse effects).

I'm currently using a Reptile Cleaning Formula that I got at a local pet shop. I really like it and it requires no mixing. It's safe to use right out of the bottle, or course you should always follow directions. I have been using this product for a long time now and I like it.

In checking the label though, it does not list the ingredients, so I can't tell you what's in it. I'm including a picture of the product along with this post if you're interested.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
MysticExotics
I use vinegar/water for normal cleanings and F10 for deep cleaning.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Reggie Wriggle
Every month I use Milton antibacterial-surface-spray used for cleaning babies chairs then a stream cleaner.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6345934
https://www.milton-tm.com/en/consume...-surface-spray

Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Mitch2742
I use F10.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
LadyJemima
I use hot water and soap followed by chrlorhexidine. If it's something I'm buying used, I soak it in bleach first. Alcohol and white vinegar can also be used to sterilize. Just be sure to rinse well and let dry before putting back into the tank.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
corn_snake_lover
hello EM

yea is a good idea not to use just anything on reptiles i was told by a petsmart care taker that you can use dish soap like dawn diluted with water to clean tank and things but to make sure to rinse very good also bleach is very toxic to reptiles and vinegar is not that good i just got my snake 1 week ago in 3 weeks i will clean everything out and probably order the fs10 if i can or a safe cleaner from the petshop.if in doubt what to use go to your local petshop and ask better safe then sorry.even the stuff you they have for rabbits and birds that can be toxic to reptiles.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn_snake_lover View Post
yea is a good idea not to use just anything on reptiles i was told by a petsmart care taker that you can use dish soap like dawn diluted with water to clean tank and things but to make sure to rinse very good also bleach is very toxic to reptiles and vinegar is not that good i just got my snake 1 week ago in 3 weeks i will clean everything out and probably order the fs10 if i can or a safe cleaner from the petshop.if in doubt what to use go to your local petshop and ask better safe then sorry.even the stuff you they have for rabbits and birds that can be toxic to reptiles.
Lol and then there's my PetSmart, where we bleach the fish ornaments and routinely use vinegar for light cleans. Considering the advice one of our local sister stores gives out, I would not trust just any pet shop employee to have any clue what they're talking about. Our training is ridiculously minimal.

Also I can just about guarantee anything bird safe is probably going to be reptile safe, as birds are VERY sensitive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google