CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mouse bit my snake!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Lovin2act
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997snake View Post
is it possible to rip mices teeth out?
That would be seriously messed up

Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2act View Post
That would be seriously messed up
Very. Would be much more humane just to toss the mouse to the snake.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
VickyChaiTea
Quote:
Possible? Yes. Disturbingly cruel? Also yes.

It would be much more humane to offer a prekilled food item, plus it would offer the same affect.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
Just make sure any ointment doesn't have painkillers in it.
So, for example Neosporin with "pain relief" is NOT a good idea, but regular Neosporin is okay? I guess I never thought about the difference between those two. Thanks for pointing that out.

To the OP. How long has your snake been eating live mice? I'm assuming his whole life, and considering that he's eating almost full grown rodents, I'll guess he's at least a year or two old. So, it may take awhile to switch over to frozen thawed, but it will be worth it. As your snake gets larger the mice will also get larger. Male mice can be particularly aggressive and have been known to kill snakes. NEVER leave your snake unattended with a live rodent. Even if you are watching, however, there are risks involved, as you have just observed. You may need to tease feed frozen thawed rodents for awhile, or if your snake absolutely won't take them at first, try stunning a live rodent before offering it to your snake.

Good luck. You snake will hopefully be fine. Let this be a lesson though, not the first of many rodent caused injuries.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Dorgrim
Quote:
Wut?

I hope you are trolling

Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
xreinx
I live in alaska, most of the mice I get from petstores or order and have shipped in, either have been refrozen or are in pretty bad shape, so I have to buy live and prekill them for my blizzard, otherwise she rejects 2 out of 3 mice before she eats. sometimes the other snakes even reject a few she has rejected. but they ALL eat the fresh killed, every time.

the trick with her is PreKill! she will strike and eat if its still warm. if you have any issues with your snake not eating dead, try the fresh killed, warm yet DEAD mouse.

as for teeth ripping out... we arnt going to go there.. theres laws againt torturing animals.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Ronel Grobbelaar
Hi. I also have a Corn Snake. A Carolina Corn snake 950 + long and +- under 1 year or 1 year old. She. She was also bitten by a Jumper mice but not bleeding. Now she are very scared of mice. The problem is we fed her in her cage. Now she doesn't want to eat and doesn't want to stay in the cage. It seems she wants to get out. Okay. We fed her after 10 days a fuzzy. She were scared too but start eating it and spit it out .......twice the same story. After a while she ate him alive. The pet shop inform me to start giving her picky's again. We bought some and has to get rid of it due that she doesn't want to eat. Please. We feel terrible that she has to go through this and doesn't handle her much any more. She doesn't want to eat. Seems to me her mouth is sore. Could it be and what can we do that she can eat again?My email address for help are rgrobbelaar3@gmail.com. Urgent please

Old 10-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Nanci
Why don't you kill the mice before feeding them to her? You can either kill the mouse and feed it right away, or if it cools off, reheat it with a blow drier or hot water.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:36 AM   #19
Ronel Grobbelaar
Question

Nanci, thank you for the response. My husband did afterwards kill the mice and hold it in front of our snake.......but she were scared and doesn't want to eat it. We had to get rid of the mice. We even bought 3 pinkies and to flash it down the toilet as she doesn't even want to eat them. I'm concern due to the fact that she are scared of mice. This happened for the past 3 weeks now. We even moved her to a quit area and she are very very active.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #20
Nanci
How big is she? It can be difficult to overcome a fear of prey caused by a bite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google