CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Het Markers

Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
SickPyth7
Het Markers

Is there a such thing as het markers with cornsnakes?

I have a Caramel Motley het Hypo pos.het Anery Stripe. What I'm trying to find out (most importantly) is whether she is 100% het Stripe.

The male I intend on breeding her to is an Amber Stripe het Amel

What does everyone think?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
SickPyth7
Here she is:

Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Kuzco
Only way to find out 100% is to breed her to a stripe or known het stripe and find striped babies.

Other than that I'd so no on pattern markers like striped

Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
ZoologyGirl
Generally I don't think there is a het stripe marker. However, when it is possible het stripe with motley involved there could be something showing, since they are on the same locus. But even then it is not a sure thing, particularly since motley is generally dominant to stripe, so you can have a perfectly motley snake actually be a motley/stripe....or you could have a motley with lots of elongated stripe pieces just be motley.

I would go ahead and do that breeding with the amber stripe. It should be a good way to prove whether your caramel motley is just motley or motley/stripe.

Looking at just the motley and stripe gene of these 2 you would see the following circumstances:

If your caramel is just motley (mm) x stripe (ss) = 100% motley/stripe (ms)

If your caramel is motley/stripe (ms) x stripe (ss) = 50% motley/stripe (ms), 50% stripe (ss)

Either way you will still get nice patterns out of the babies.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Reptilekyle64
My het blood has a grey head and a mostly clear belly

Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
SickPyth7
I figured there would not be any known het markers discovered! But I had to ask.

I hope she is a motley/stripe

Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Yarmuck
A lot of people believe, (myself one of them) that being het for Caramel shows up in the snake carrying it. Increasing yellow levels on the belly and more to levels above normal. But that's the only one I know of that shows while het.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google