• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Name that Morph

Kyra Omega

Howdy all,

Ok I aquired a new snake today! like potato chips you can't stop at 1...or 3... or 5... I think It may be a hybrid but I am not entirely sure. It looks like a caramel stripe but upon closer inspection it does seem to have saddles but they are very very faint and didn't show up in my pictures well. It also has a "yellow belly" Not a cream color like on a motly. Its eyes are a dark red with a black pupil. It isn't the "albino red" color. Either way it is very pretty and I was just wondering if someone could confirm my guess of caramel stripe/hybrid.

Thanks!

yellow Belly
yellowbelly.jpg

Body W/Flash
patternflash.jpg

Body no Flash
patternnoflah.jpg

Head w/flash
snakeheadflash.jpg

Cool! Now I know what he/she is. Are these guys used to create any of the hybrid color morphs? Not that I plan on cross breeding, I was just curious. I don't even know if this is a male or a female lol.

Nice yellow rat!! That is one of the snakes I see the most frequently in the wild. Yours is a nice bright yellow! I love their copper-colored eyes. Does he have a nice temperament?

He/She is very VERY gentle! and loves to coil up round your hands real snug and just hang out. Part of the reason we couldn't resist it. The eyes are not copper colored though, they are red. Not the albino pinkish see trough red, but a crimson red, very pretty! Yeah this one is a great pet! Just wish it had been the cornsnake it was advertised to be, but we knew it was "off" when we saw it and decided to buy it anyway cause it was so sweet.

Everybody has a cornsnake, not that many have yellow rats!! You should be proud of him. Or her.

Everybody has a cornsnake, not that many have yellow rats!! You should be proud of him. Or her.

I agree with Nanci! Yellow rats are very underestimated as pets and some are very pretty. I come across them quite a bit here in Central Florida but I did keep a couple that looked exceptional.

P1030534.jpg

P1020292.jpg

This one is an Everglades male that IO have saved from a pet shop, that couldn't get him to eat! He's actually a hypo Everglades, which is basically a fancy yellow rat, lol.
P1020326.jpg

There are a few morphs people keep and breed with those; amels and whitesideds come to mind...

Rat snakes don't seem as popular to keep now as they have been in the past; it's too bad.

Very neat and pretty, so enjoy :*)

My Bairds rat (well, Angela's but he's visiting until she gets settled in a place she can have her whole collection at) proved he is a RATsnake by downing a small rat I had offered to Marbles. Marbles wanted no part of that rat after a traumatic bath, so Abel has a nice big meal in his belly. Didn't make all that much of a lump. He was sure eager for it though, he got half his length up in the air to strike before I was able to lower it closer, then constricted it like crazy. He hit it right in the mouth, a perfect strike for safe consumption of rats (even though this was f/t) like he knows how to handle a rat. I left him alone after that & when I checked back he was coiled on the warm side digesting. Love him! I think I need a Bairds of my own at some point.

Oooh a yellow rat snake! I have one of those. A feisty male. And by feisty I mean he hates, bites, and musks everyone. They do have awesome eyes though - nice, bright and orangey in comparison to the body. I wish mine were nicer. :( I rescued him from a lab, where he was supposed to end up as food for a kingsnake. Perhaps he was traumatized! He does have a rather impressive scar on his right side...

Sorry, rambling. As far as breeding goes, you could breed it with a corn, but I don't think hybrids are quite as popular because the color variations are more limited. But if yours is a girl and you want more yellow rats, I'll give you mine!!! :D

Oooh a yellow rat snake! I have one of those. A feisty male. And by feisty I mean he hates, bites, and musks everyone. They do have awesome eyes though - nice, bright and orangey in comparison to the body. I wish mine were nicer. :( I rescued him from a lab, where he was supposed to end up as food for a kingsnake. Perhaps he was traumatized! He does have a rather impressive scar on his right side...

Sorry, rambling. As far as breeding goes, you could breed it with a corn, but I don't think hybrids are quite as popular because the color variations are more limited. But if yours is a girl and you want more yellow rats, I'll give you mine!!! :D

Yeah many yellows tend to stay a bit nervous. You have to move very slowly and deliberately while holding them. Then I have had had some that tame down very nicely too. The Everglades tend to have better dispositions. As for breeding them with a Corn, it's not impossible, but I don't think it's as easy as putting them together and presto. I actually tried many years ago and they didn't care for each other at all. Now I'm glad they didn't, cause it would have been an ugly combination probably.

Back