• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Looking for an opinion on what this morph is

Do you think that this is a odd looking blood red ? I know it looks like an odd amel on the dorsal view, but the belly pattern is what has stumped me. I have bred her to a odd looking normal, and this is the clutch that has recently resulted...This is pre shed, right out of the egg and into the bin, so please excuse the pic...Clutch yeilded 4 normals, and 8 almost ruby red amels. I will take post shed pics tonight and post.

IMG01466-20100726-0600.jpg

luckely you can see one of the normal colored baby's checkers and I don't see a het. bloodred stripe. So I don't think your amel is a bloodred but just a absolutely stunning amel which you should really use for a project :)

luckely you can see one of the normal colored baby's checkers and I don't see a het. bloodred stripe. So I don't think your amel is a bloodred but just a absolutely stunning amel which you should really use for a project :)

I am considering pairing her with my lavender male next year, or my caramel. I think she would make some outstanding opals or butters...

Thanks for all the information people !

I think she is gorgeous... A big possibility that she is het blood... I would breed her to a male het or homo blood to test it out... Beautiful though..

From the tests for the mask gene we know that not all het bloods have the stripe on the belly splitting up the checkers. Unless bred to a known blood or het blood, one can't say anything about the amel being homo or het blood.

Gawsh...I knew she was special...however not as special as everyone is saying ! I was planning on holding back a couple of the offspring to see how they grow. I think I will for sure now. She has a nother 9 eggs cooking from a double clutch too, so I am hoping it will she some more light on what she's got hiding.

Breeding one of her offspring back to her is a great way to see what genes she is carrying.. Good luck with the future breedings.. :) She is beautiful!

Hi,

So these babies are now a few months old. I have kept back 10 of the offspring from this pairing. I just can't bear to let them go just yet. I am really interested to see how they grow up, especially the amels and a couple of the "not so normal" normals. I think I produced some pretty groovy looking babies this year ! So far I have sold a few, gifted a few, and donated a couple to schools for class pets.

Here's a couple shots -

Females/male, amel possible het bloodred

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

Males, normal, possible het bloodred

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

Clutch mates for contrast

IMG_3056.jpg

Next year, I have some focused (and wicked awesome) projects planned, and hope to bring a bit of revitalization back to the corn/colubrid market out west ! ~

She makes great highly colored babies! Whatever her genetics, you need to keep her & work with her because of the vibrancy of her color & the fact that she passes that high level of color to her babies.

She makes great highly colored babies! Whatever her genetics, you need to keep her & work with her because of the vibrancy of her color & the fact that she passes that high level of color to her babies.

She is most definitely a keeper ! She has an excellent feeding response, is very docile, and an all around fantastic snake too. I have planned a "date" with her and my lavender het motley male for next year. She's packed on the grams and is already back at pre gravid weight a few months after her second clutch. She'll get the following year off for sure though, and I am torn with pairing her with one of my bloods too. If I am comfortable with my hypo lav het blood male, he may bump my other lavender male for sure.

These babies almost glow when the lights get turned off. I can't wait to see how they grow up.

Very nice snake. My first thought is that she's got the 'red coat' (or red masque) gene that has been under ongoing research lately (compounded with Amel & Diffused). I believe you can read some information on it at the 'other site'. It is one gene that I haven't researched into myself yet.
It's believed that many of Poppycorns Snakes have this gene compounded with other 'red factor' genes like Strawberry.

i just recently got a pair of fires from Pete at Island Corns (thanks pete!) and they seem to have a very similar red wash as your baby! i can't explain it, but they just look...speckle-y? and very red. also, the belly of the first snake in question looks exactly like the bellies of our blood pair, also from Pete.

Back