CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Stargazing

Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #31
wstphal
Tim, no disrespect intended but I am totally confused as to what "secretive injections of Flagyl" is all about. I know what Flagyl is but otherwise I'm lost.

BTW I know you wouldn't engage in any coverups. If you find any gazers in your colony, you'll be honest about it. That's one reason why I know I will end up buying snakes from you sooner or later!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #32
TandJ
Whats up??

Semi stimulated but intently focused..

Concentrating on the meal at hand..

Betsy, XYC breeder isn't the only one that works on Stargazers.. Although they can certainly make a sale...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
TandJ
Quote:
Tim, no disrespect intended but I am totally confused as to what "secretive injections of Flagyl" is all about. I know what Flagyl is but otherwise I'm lost.
Flagyl of course is intended to treat some serious infections, you know that yourself.. At some point there will be more clarification, caveat emptor.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #34
wstphal
Cute pictures! It appears that the weirdness doesn't impair the usual cornsnake enthusiasm for food, or their enjoyment of life.

I dunno who XYC is though. I've talked via PMs to a couple people who are trying to be sure they don't have any het SGs in their lines accidentally but they aren't big names or anything.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #35
cobained
Since there's actually some activity in this thread, I have a few SG questions. I started a thread in the behavior forum regarding 4 hatchlings from a breeding this year that were all born with neurological problems. Neither parent is known to be from sunkissed lines, but I don't have any sort of pedigree on them.

Anyways, in an effort to prevent making these odd hatchlings in the future I was trying to figure out if they ARE stargazers, or if their issues are from something else. Besides being very wobbly-headed, they all appear to have very small heads and have a splotch of saddle color as a "head pattern" (they're all stripes). Do known stargazers have ANY sort of physical differences than non-SG?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #36
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ View Post
Flagyl of course is intended to treat some serious infections, you know that yourself.. At some point there will be more clarification, caveat emptor.
Yeah, I know what it's good for in humans & quadrupeds. Truly, though, I can only guess what it would be used for in herps.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #37
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobained View Post
Since there's actually some activity in this thread, I have a few SG questions. I started a thread in the behavior forum regarding 4 hatchlings from a breeding this year that were all born with neurological problems. Neither parent is known to be from sunkissed lines, but I don't have any sort of pedigree on them.

Anyways, in an effort to prevent making these odd hatchlings in the future I was trying to figure out if they ARE stargazers, or if their issues are from something else. Besides being very wobbly-headed, they all appear to have very small heads and have a splotch of saddle color as a "head pattern" (they're all stripes). Do known stargazers have ANY sort of physical differences than non-SG?
I don't think so. The pictures & videos I've seen all have normal head sizes for age, and most have been sunkissed so have had the SK head pattern. Tim probably knows more than me though.

Small heads would suggest various developmental causes in mammals. And if the brain doesn't develop properly the head winds up small and the mammal has various neurological problems including possibly coordination issues. My guess, if their heads are small, they aren't SGs they have some other neurological problem, which could be genetic or could be due to incubation.

Any info on possible incubation issues like temp spikes or low temps? Are the parents siblings? (That would suggest some other Mendelian recessive weirdness that causes microcephaly rather than SG.).

Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #38
TandJ
Quote:
Do known stargazers have ANY sort of physical differences than non-SG?
Not that I have personally seen...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
TandJ
Quote:
Truly, though, I can only guess what it would be used for in herps.
It has a different name in the Vet World.. Now, if I am not mistaken, its a hell of a dewormer/parasite remover, likely encountered by poor conditions..

Regards.. Tim of T and J in a subtle mood..

Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
wstphal
I don't know about worms, but it works great on a range of intestinal parasites & bacteria in mammals. Giardia would be a great example of a parasite that it kills.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
neurological problem, stargazing