CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

stripes/motleys

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Daniel
stripes/motleys

Hey folks,
If I breed a stripe to a motley do I get normals, or are they the same allelle?
Do I get stripes and motleys, both, or neither?

I understand how the other traits work.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Shiari
They are on the same allele and motley is dominant to stripe.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
They are on the same allele and motley is dominant to stripe.
So if I breed a stripe to a motley what should I get?
Is it the same as a dom and reces gene on different alleles?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Shiari
If you breed a stripe to a motley, the offspring will all look like motleys. You may get some with some striping, but that is also found in homozygous motley animals.

If you breed two of these motley-stripes together, you will get motleys, motley-stripes, and stripes, but will be unable to tell apart the motleys and motley-stripes in the clutch.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
fyrefocks
Motley x stripe will produce het motley/stripes. Each baby's outward appearance will vary from motley to pinstripe. Technically the babies will be HET for both motley and stripe since the animal will only possess one of each allele on the locus. However, since the locus will have 2 appearance affecting alleles, the pattern does get altered.

If you bred 2 mot/stripes.... what Shiari said.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Daniel
Thanks, everybody !

Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
SickPyth7
So Motley and Stripe do not work the same as Ultra and Amel. Reason being because Ultra and Amel bred together produce Ultramels which = Ultra/Amel. Where as Motley bred to Stripe produce double hets although some look like motleys!

is this correct? they do not work the same!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickPyth7 View Post
So Motley and Stripe do not work the same as Ultra and Amel. Reason being because Ultra and Amel bred together produce Ultramels which = Ultra/Amel. Where as Motley bred to Stripe produce double hets although some look like motleys!

is this correct? they do not work the same!
Actually they work the same. An ultramel should be het for both ultra and amel, just like a het motley/stripe is het for both.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
SickPyth7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
Actually they work the same. An ultramel should be het for both ultra and amel, just like a het motley/stripe is het for both.
But in Ultramels they are both Homo Ultra and Amel, so how are they double het offspring if they are homo?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
fyrefocks
Ultra itself is recessive, just like amel. But since ultra and amels alleles share the same locus, they become co-dominate with each other. Thats why it changes the outwardly appearance of the snake. Motley and stripe do the same thing. They both share the same locus, so one allele of each gene will change the snakes appearance. But in both cases the animal is het for both.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google