CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

SIGHS! I AM AT MY WITS END

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Ares2010
SIGHS! I AM AT MY WITS END

Ok, remember Apollo that I picked up from a rescue place almost a month ago?
Remember I told you that he had been injured on his spine? Well, there is a dent there but it's been healed up for months. The lady that had him at the rescue place hasn't gotten back to me when I emailed her asking how she got him to eat. She had told me when I picked him up that he will only eat fuzzies. That's what I have been trying to give him. He ate ONE fuzzy in almost a month that we have had him.

We tried dipping it in chicken broth. braining it, taking head off it and trying to give it to him.. nothing.

I don't know what else to do. I did all that I could find on here that's suggested.

What do I do? He's getting skinnier and I just can't get him to eat.

This is really worrying me and my Sister

Old 07-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Airidies
Have you tried live? I'd try a live pink or peach fuzzy first and see how he does with that.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Ares2010
I haven't tried that one but the woman that had him at the rescue said he eats frozen.. so that didn't occur to me to try live.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Airidies
I'd give it a try just to see since your having problems getting him to eat. He may have come from a home were they fed live, and even though he ate f/t for a little while at the shelter he may decided he wants a live again...

I have a ball that does that. He was fed live by the breeder and then ate f/t for me for 5 months before going to strike for 6 weeks... I gave up and gave him live and he ate with seconds. He sometimes takes a f/t now but he prefers live.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
AliCat37
We had an adult male corn that would only eat fuzzies. How do you offer him his food? With the one we had, we had to dangle the fuzzies above his head, he wouldn't eat them if they were just sitting still in front of him.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Airidies
Also, have you tried heating the mouse in a cup of VERY hot water? And how long do you leave him to eat?

Sorry my first thought is to try live, but i have them easily available since I breed mice. I know there are all kinds of tricks to get a hatchling to eat but I don't know how and if they work on a older snake whose stopped eating...

It could also be the season... Since he's male he may just go into a natural food strike...

Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Ares2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
We had an adult male corn that would only eat fuzzies. How do you offer him his food? With the one we had, we had to dangle the fuzzies above his head, he wouldn't eat them if they were just sitting still in front of him.
We did the zombie dance, left it on a paper towel for him leaving him alone.. dipped it in chicken broth and brained and all... he won't eat it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Ares2010
By the way, he's an adult Corn snake.. approx 3 years old.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Ares2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airidies View Post
Also, have you tried heating the mouse in a cup of VERY hot water? And how long do you leave him to eat?

Sorry my first thought is to try live, but i have them easily available since I breed mice. I know there are all kinds of tricks to get a hatchling to eat but I don't know how and if they work on a older snake whose stopped eating...

It could also be the season... Since he's male he may just go into a natural food strike...
Yes, we did the hot fuzzie thing and tried zombie dance, leaving it with hiim etc... all at different time lengths.. it's frustrating

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
ceduke
If he's an adult and he's getting skinnier after not eating for only a month, I think you may be looking at an issue that needs a vet. An adult corn should not lose a noticeable amount of weight from not eating for a month.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google