CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Couldn't find hoppers in my area

Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Cassie16
Couldn't find hoppers in my area

Pangaea is ready to move to hoppers according to the Munson guidelines, but for the past few weeks I've been feeding double fuzzies in order to get rid of them (so he ended up getting 10-12 grams of food weight)

Pan is currently at 67 grams.

I could not find any hoppers around here. I was sure they had hoppers in the "Arctic Mice" sold at Petsmart, but evidently not. I ended up buying the "small mice" thinking they were equivalent (the net weight said 45 grams and there were six mice in the pack, so I figured they'd each be around eight or so grams) I opened them up and they looked about the right size at quick glance.

Now that I'm going to thaw them, they seem freaking huge. I weighed the smallest one and it was 12 grams. Going by Munson, this is the biggest weight a snake from 51-90 grams should eat. The other mice aren't much bigger, with the exception of one monster and one really short fat mouse.

Should I proceed with the small mice or go back to double fuzzies? I really don't want to order anything online until he's on adult mice and buying in bulk would be economical.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Cassie16
btw, the short fat mouse is really adorable and I want it to come back to life so it can be my little squat friend. Totally weird?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Dee Dee
I'm having the same issue. I want to move popcorn up from pinks to peach fuzzies but my local store doesn't have them. They only have regular fuzzies & they are huge compared to the pinks! Pinks are about same size as popcorn, I guessed peach fuzzies would be just a lil larger & as she weighs around 18grams I figured they would be about the right size. But I can't get them so I'm feeding her double pinks. She's had 3 meals that size/quantity so far & is digesting them just fine. I get her out 2days after feeding & she poops whilst I've got her out. I have a towel on hand & as soon as I see her tail 'twitching'- contracting & expanding I pop her on the towel. She usually does this on Monday & Tuesday night. It's like she digests each pink a day at a time lol.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Nanci
Well, you can continue to feed double fuzzies for a while, or you can cut the head off one of the hoppers and see what it weighs in at! A couple meals of headless hoppers and he should be nearing the top end of the hopper-feeder weight range (of the snake) and should be good then with the 12 gram hoppers, and then you can continue right on with the > 12g hoppers when he goes to weaneds. They don't stay on hoppers long at all. Six "hoppers" should take him through that stage.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
neiman07
so my amel is almost 3 i was told when i bought her.. and they said i still should feed her hoppers.. now i have a bag of probably 40 ish left should i just keep feeding them to her tell there gone or 1 1/2 hoppers i dont know how much she weighs i have to buy a scale still but she really isnt very big i dont think!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Well, you can continue to feed double fuzzies for a while, or you can cut the head off one of the hoppers and see what it weighs in at! A couple meals of headless hoppers and he should be nearing the top end of the hopper-feeder weight range (of the snake) and should be good then with the 12 gram hoppers, and then you can continue right on with the > 12g hoppers when he goes to weaneds. They don't stay on hoppers long at all. Six "hoppers" should take him through that stage.
I honestly wouldn't have ever thought of that. I was hoping I'd never have to decapitate a mouse, but I'd rather do that than buy more fuzzies.

How do you go about cutting the heads off, though? Can it be done frozen? I imagine that would be much cleaner. I honestly don't know if I have any implement that would work. Are the spinal cords pretty easy to sever?

I might have to make my boyfriend do it, lol. I've dissected a human body and yet I'm squeamish about decapitating a frozen mouse. What in the world is wrong with me?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Triple M
You should look on rodentpro.com for hoppers. If u only need a few then u wouldn't want to do this though because the smallest amount is 100.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Cassie16
That's the problem; I only have one snake, so buying in bulk isn't exactly practical until he's full grown. Unless you can "mix and match"?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Piper
Check and see if there is a reptile club in your area? My local club buys large quantities of various sizes in bulk & resells at cost to it's members (generally in packs 25 to 50 count). The cost of membership & support from a local reptile enthusiast group pays for the cost of membership

Old 06-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Triple M
I heard if u call rodent pro they will do half and half for you. It's worth a try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google