CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Bloodred Stripe or normal stripe?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
starsevol
Bloodred Stripe or normal stripe?

Nanci mentioned to me on the devil that you can tell the difference with a good belly shot. So I took a few of Kato's belly to see what everyone thought.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Nanci
Beth- don't take this the wrong way but the pics need to be sharp and clear...My guess, from these, is normal.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
starsevol
Oh, I am not! These are definately not my best work!
Had an uber excited 10 year old girl helping me, and the snake was squirmier than usual too.
I may just breed him to see.
There is only a 50% or less chance that he is homo, but his daddy is a definate blood.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Nanci
I'd be interested to see how accurate that method is on adults.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
fyrefocks
I'm going to disagree with my friend and say that it could be bloodred. I should really sit down and photo the underside of my stripes and blood stripes so that you can see. All of my non-blood stripes have completely clean bellies, where yours and my bloods have that color bleed.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Reptilekyle64
I expect not to see so much color surrounded the belly with stripes, I am really not sure

Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
DMong
I agree with the others about it probably being a bloodred stripe. The substantial amount of "color bleeding" from the sides is very typical of bloodred phenotypes. Motleys and stripes tend to be far plainer and cleaner looking on their ventro-lateral area.

~Doug

Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Susan
Just to throw the exception to the "rule" in there, this motley (first photo) has absolutely zero bloodred in her lineage and I can go back several generations with more clutches than I can count. I know the color bleed tends to look a little different in the bloodreds versus motleys and stripes, but to a newb, it might be confusing, especially when you compare it to the 4 bloodred ventrals I threw in for comparison.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Susan
Beth, yours does seem to have the usual bloodred bleed, but since I have no experience with motley/stripe bloodred combos (yet), good examples from breeders with experience would be the way to go...as well as test breeding.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Nanci
Susan, are all the red snakes bloodreds?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google