CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Umm my corn dosnt think he is a corn..

Old 06-18-2002, 12:10 AM   #1
DustinWaller
Question Umm my corn dosnt think he is a corn..

Hey,

I got my corn just over 1 week ago. I have fed him 2 times but the first time i didnt get to see him eat becouse i was asleep. What i did was gave my corn a bath today. The water was about 3.5-4 inches and was 80 F. He is 20" long and i would guess he is a 3 months or so? I got it all set up, put 2 rocks in there and went to go pick him up and i guess he is a little hand shy but he had hyper speed! and slithered out of my hand 2 times and then i rubbed him with my hand and then he let me hold him to put him in the tub. I didnt just drop him in i decided for him to feel it first and then i let him slither out of my hands. I watched him the whole time and every once in a while he would go under the water and just swim around but he seemed like he hated it and wanted to get up out of the water. I had to rocks in there he went on one and sthered right off. The tub is steel and it is cold. So i was thinking he probly just liked the cold but he looked like he wanted to get out. He NEVER trys to get out of his house. His aquarium is a 20 gallon and he never goes on the glass or anything. Does this mean he dosnt like this? Becouse usually my fish and stuff if they ride against the glass or as for any fish they hate it there or it is to small for them. so i let my corn swim around for a good 10 mins or so and then took him out an put him back in his tank. He likes his house like i said and i fed him a fuzzy right when he got put back in. I feed him 1 fuzzy every monday. but i was watching him today and he constricted it!!!( like a boa!!) i mean iv seen other snakes and corns eat and they didnt constric it. They just ate it head first like normal and it was done. Both times he ate(iv had him for 2 mondays) But BOTH times he didnt have a spot in his belly where he had eaten the mouse. Iv seen other snakes where they eat a rat and it leaves a boldge in the stomach.
here are my questions:

1) Why does he Constrict his food?

2)When he rubes up against the tub does it mean he wants t come out?

3)Why dosnt it leave a boldge in his stomach after he eats?

thx guys and gals
Dustin

Old 06-18-2002, 12:42 AM   #2
Jr Nimeskern
Hi Dustin... you seem to be very intrested in learning about your new pet and thats GREAT!!! Im happy that you are taking care of your corn...
now to anwser your questions...
1) corns are born with the instinct to constrict their food... your corn could of been feed live food all the way up to this point... when I fed my corns live they would always constrict it... if your feeding him live then he will constrict it... usually if you switch to a prekilled or thawed after they have been eating live then they will usually continue constricting the dead prekilled mice for a couple of times after you switch them to the prekilled(dang im confusing myself im tired and its late at night) anyways
2) Corns usually dont like the water to much... they would rather be in the trees but... if you give your corns enough baths then they will start to get use to water and eventually will like to be in water...(personal experience)
3) Im not sure on this one but how thick is your corn? if you dont see a bulge then maybe your feeding your corn to little of food... the food items are to small maybe it time to switch up to hoppers... you could always try this... I try to get my corns up to the next size leval as soon as possible so its easier to feed them... I usually feed my 20 in corns every monday and friday 1 fuzzy a day till they are able to eat hoppers then from hoppers I do the same thing... until they get to mice once they get to mice I feed them only on mondays...
of course this is my own opinion... Im sure others will give there own thoughts...

Old 06-18-2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Colleen
Well Jr. seems to have covered everything! I would agree about the bath too. The first bath I think ours wasn't too sure either but now she loves it! and remember they instictively will try to climb and exscape, so I wouldn't worry about him climbing up the sides.

Have fun, they are so beautiful to watch swimming!!

Colleen

Old 06-18-2002, 04:52 AM   #4
DustinWaller
umm i think he is probly around the average thumb size

Old 06-18-2002, 08:16 AM   #5
pinatamonkey
He's 20" and thumb-thick? Probably somewhere from 6 months to 10 months old? A lot older than 3 months, anyway. Try feeding him 2 fuzzies since you don't see a lump.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
DustinWaller
No hes not about a thumb big. maybe a pointer finger.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
Snakebite001
Arrow

hes new to his/her surrounding give it time to settle in!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google