• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What have I forgotten?

kellum

untitled
Alright-
My heat tape-clips and cord will be here tomorrow, I am going to PetSmart tomorrow to get a 20-gallon container & aspen substrate. I already have two hides and a water dish. Plan on buying mice of appropriate size at the show when I get my snake.

Is that it? Have I forgotten anything?

And more questions... I have the option of buying a reptile terrarium ( with sliding screen top attached or a 20-gallon aquarium and a separate screen top and some clip to hold it on. Which is a more secure setup? Which do you have?

I thought that if the detached screen was a little "cracky" I could use some dense rubber weather stripping around the underside edge to make it fit snug. I had to do this with an iguana cage I had once (not that it could have escaped).

Anyway thanks for any responses!

Keith

Last edited:
Keith,
Corns are masters of escape! I have looked at the reptariums, the screen top looks pretty secure, as I have never used them. I do know that nothing short of a large brick will prevent an adult corn from pushing a standard screen top off. What ever you choose--make sure it's secure.
Good Luck!

Matt L.

Sounds like your set Keith

I have never used the sliding screen top, But should you choose the regular top be sure you have 4 to 6 clips for it. Either that or some thick hardcover novels work well. Also, What substrate have you decide to use?

One last thing, You say your using heat tape? Do you have a thermostat? rheostat? thermometer? You want to be able to control the temps for your corn.

I will have to really check out the reptarium again before making a decision.

Aspen is the substrate I will use.
And thanks... I forgot I bought a single pole dimmer switch to use as a rheostat- I need to splice it into my heat tape cord.

Oh crap! and I need a couple of thermometers - one for each end of the enclosure.

Thanks Guys!

if it is a "Critter Cage" with the sliding screen top they are great. They come with stops that you stick on and you can even lock them with a padlock if you want. I have never had one escape from one with the stops in place.

sliding screen tops...

keith,
i'd tend to warn you away from the sliding screens. i have six of the critter-cages from all-glass aquarium and the adhesive holding the locks on has a tendency to dry out after awhile. (couple of years) an adult corn can slide the screen right back if this happens. i've now switched to long velcro fasteners to hold these screens in place. i've never had an escape from the clip-on screens, but make sure you have enough clips. (4-6 per aquarium like kevin said) good luck with the new snake!!!! ---jim

Thanks! I'll pick up a Hygrometer.

Think I'll go with the clamp-on lid- I'd feel safer.

Thanks again

Other alternatives to glass aquariums

Another choice is that you can go with a different kind of tank, such as Visions or Neodeshas. Personally I use the cages made by Doug Barr. I love them, they open in the front, made of pressed plastic (very strong) with a plexiglass hinged door, keep humidity very well, and are really secure. URL is http://www.barrs.com/
If you stay in the hobby, you will probably get out of the glass tanks anyway, why not save the money and use it to buy something that will last and looks better?

I started off with glass tanks with the sliding screens, never had any problem with them, but after you get a certain number of snakes, you need to be able to stack the tanks. And as you will find out, corn snakes are VERY addicting. Unless you have supreme will power, you will get end up with more than one very quickly. If you go with the glass tank, I recommend the sliding screen as it is really easy to use, I didn't have great luck with the clip on screen, it seemed as if it would be easy to not put the clips on quite right.

Just my opinion.
sue frederick

i agree with sue, if you've got the $$$ go with visions or neos. more expensive but stackable and open in front. wish i'd started that way. one of my racks right now (8' tall x 8' long x 4 ft deep, monster rack) has 14 glass tanks (a mix of sliding and clip-on lids) on it all between 10g and 40g breeders. i could have 50 stackable cages in the space that that thing takes up. :) ---jim

I use the critter cage as well. Nothing wrong with them. Good cages. The glue does dry up on the locks but can be easily fixed with a drop of super glue. And just because my snakes like to climb around the top edge of the tank, I said something heavy on the front in the middle. That's the only place where they MAY be able to push it up a tad to slip through. Good luck!

ode to a tree

something to climb on?
I found a sapling maple in a wood pile from when my neighbors were relandscaping, I cut a neat branch off of it and soaked it over night in my bath tub then baked it at 250 for about an hour then sanded the rough spots down,... corns are semi arboreal and love climbing, plus it makes the cage a little more astheticaly pleasing

Got my snake today at the show in Raleigh ( what a freakin' mad house)
I had to wade through a group three deep in front of the Serpenco booth.
Bet Rich had a good day today. I got one of Rich's Milk snake phase X Motley.
Mainly because she was larger than most of the other 01's I saw and my family thought she was really pretty ( I wasn't looking for any specific morph). I'll post some pics once she has settled in.

Thanks to all for the advice! And thanks Rich for the wonderful snake. Your booth looked fantastic- Lots of beautiful snakes!

Keith

Back