CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Lump on tail that's growing

Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
cornie98
Lump on tail that's growing

I adopted Charlie back in 2013 (as an adult of unknown age) - and he's been as healthy as can be until the past few weeks. Slowly, he started developing a lump on his tail... and today, I found a dark spot on his lump.

Until now, the lump hasn't seemingly bothered him - it wasn't sensitive to the touch, and he eats and drinks like a champ. I am super scared about this black spot though.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
cornie98
Also - Charlie has always pooped normally (2-3 days after eating), and the Vet appointment is scheduled for next week...

Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #3
Shiari
Glad you have the vet visit already scheduled. I'm extremely concerned that's a tumor.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Twolunger
Lumps like that typically fall into two basic categories, a tumor or an abscess. Your vet will be able to make that determination. Many times a snake abscess is more solid than a typical abscess, and the matter must be removed by the vet. Some obvious tumors can be removed surgically. We will keep our fingers crossed for Charlie. Let us know what happens.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
cornie98
We took Charlie to the vet today. Since I closely examined him a week ago, he started growing another tumor - this one on his midsection, near his heart. The vet said she's nearly certain it's sarcoma, as she had a corn snake that went through the same thing.

Anyway, the vet told us it might be possible to remove his tail tumor, probably amputate the whole tail itself.... but the mass near his heart just wouldn't be operable. And if the sarcoma spread to other parts of his body, radiation probably wouldn't give him much time.

And his tail tumor had gotten worse. It apparently tapped into a vein and just in the past day split open even more with a larger scab.

In the end there wasn't any other decision to make. We had to say goodbye. We just got home and I miss him so much already!

Somewhat reassuringly, my vet also said Charlie was likely very old, and besides having cancer, looked healthy and well-cared for. Doesn't take away the sadness though.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
Twolunger
So sorry for your loss. I have lost several snakes over the years and the sadness may linger for a long time. But be glad for the time you had with Charlie. We had to put our little rat terrier down last week. She was going on 14 years old and will be remembered.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
Shiari
I'm so very, very sorry. Thank you for giving him a gentle end.

Tags
lump, spot