CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calling All Lurkers
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #61
Twolunger
I have an amel tessera also. Sold to me as a candy cane tessera by a breeder who sold all her snakes, so I'll wait to see how she develops. I only keep hatchlings on paper towel until they are about 18 inches long. I use aspen shavings for the older corns. There's a lot of difference in available aspen, shavings, shredded aspen, and aspen chunks. I only use shavings, and I let the dust and small particles settle to the bottom of the bag and just use that in my flowers. I have used Care Fresh in the past, and the gray original product was a bit dusty. I've heard they have a white version now, but both are costly when you clean the corn containers weekly like I do. I have read that Care Fresh may cause a desiccant type of problem for snakes, but I didn't notice that when I used it.
 
Old 01-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #62
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sorry, but that is just not true, IMHO. FaunaClassifieds.com is still doing quite well, all things considered.
Well, now I have to eat my words.

I took a hard look at FaunaClassifieds since then, and have to agree. When I looked at actual figures, including the number of paid memberships and sponsorships that had expired and not been renewed, I came to the conclusion that no, FC isn't doing all that well any longer.

So, with that in mind, I have decided to close down the Board of Inquiry over there. The reason why is simple. It is the ONLY section of any site I run that has some substantial liability associated with it. I get threats of lawsuits over what other people post there about every week or so. Eventually such a threat will become reality, and with so much support that has been dropped from the membership, I am just not going to be willing to stick my neck out any longer for anyone.

So what does that mean to this site? Well, quite simply, if funds dry up substantially after the BOI is gone, FC has been paying the bills for the server all my sites run on. So if it no longer proves to be worthwhile paying for a server and all the associated expenses, then the server has to go. Which will mean THIS site too will have to go. Because once my server goes, I will likely just cease running websites completely, and basically go into "read only, lurker mode" mode myself on the internet.

So anyway, my apologies for being defensive when I didn't have a REAL leg to stand on when I looked real hard at that leg. I guess my stance was more hoping it were true than it actually being true.
 
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #63
Twolunger
Sometimes you feel like a First Responder, trying to breathe life into a victim when hope is dwindling. The posts have all but dried up, and the member's forum section is dead, except for our friend at Mystic Exotics. There's no moderator left, and all the burden for maintaining the site falls to you. I've got to give you credit for tenacity.
 
Old 01-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #64
Rich Z
That is just the way it goes. It seems people prefer the Facebook structured universe. So who am I to argue? The way things are looking I just might be getting out of all this internet forum stuff completely in another couple of years. Hopefully it won't be just nothing left except Facebook. There won't be a thing left for me to do on the internet at all, if that is the case. I've always looked at the internet as a way to find the answers to questions and do research. Facebook just doesn't cut it for me. I really don't care what someone had for lunch today or to learn that their cats spit up hair balls all over the carpet.

But for the "look at me" selfie generation, I guess that is exactly what they want.
 
Old 01-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #65
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That is just the way it goes. It seems people prefer the Facebook structured universe. So who am I to argue? The way things are looking I just might be getting out of all this internet forum stuff completely in another couple of years. Hopefully it won't be just nothing left except Facebook. There won't be a thing left for me to do on the internet at all, if that is the case. I've always looked at the internet as a way to find the answers to questions and do research. Facebook just doesn't cut it for me. I really don't care what someone had for lunch today or to learn that their cats spit up hair balls all over the carpet.



But for the "look at me" selfie generation, I guess that is exactly what they want.


I can't abide FarceBook at all .. it just seems so random especially compared to the structure and layout of forums... plus all I hear is bad things or bad experiences.

I trust forums as even if somebody advises someone incorrectly there is also another person able to make things right or highlight the error.

If you just search google and find some info it can be completely useless and even dangerous


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #66
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
That is just the way it goes. It seems people prefer the Facebook structured universe. So who am I to argue? The way things are looking I just might be getting out of all this internet forum stuff completely in another couple of years. Hopefully it won't be just nothing left except Facebook. There won't be a thing left for me to do on the internet at all, if that is the case. I've always looked at the internet as a way to find the answers to questions and do research. Facebook just doesn't cut it for me. I really don't care what someone had for lunch today or to learn that their cats spit up hair balls all over the carpet.

But for the "look at me" selfie generation, I guess that is exactly what they want.
Once in a while my wife wants me to look at something on her Facebook page. I scroll through the nonsense and finally give up. I tell her to find what it is that she wants me to see. If all that is left is Facebook in a couple years I'll just go back to reading books on the subjects that interest me. Half of the crap her friends post is the same stuff they used to send me via email, jokes, funny pictures, etc. I finally had to come right out and ask them not to send that stuff anymore, so now they post it all over Facebook.
 
Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 AM   #67
Rich Z
Facebook just seems so darn linear to me, with no breadth to it. But I certainly don't use it enough to know if I am just missing something.

I actually used their Facebook Market system a little while ago to post some wheels I want to sell. Seemed to go smoothly enough until I wanted to go back to edit something. Was NOT at all intuitive in how to get back to my ad.

Heck, I might have people contacting me about it, I don't know. I put my email address in there, but maybe there is some other way people might be using to contact me. I do have a facebook page, but I haven't used it after I half heartedly set it up. I actually tried the "friends" thing, but without exception every one I "friended" somehow became a spam source. So much for that.

I guess it works for a lot of people, though.

I guess Connie and myself are probably two of the few people in the world who have NEVER taken a selfie of ourselves, either together nor separately. Well, wait a minute. I guess taking pics we needed for our concealed weapons permit applications don't really count.
 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #68
67temp
I'm very low tech most of the time. Just recently a few weeks ago I upgraded from a flip phone to a smart phone. I don't have facebook and typically try to avoid it most of the time, especially the groups or personal pages where all the drama is. Though I do check out breeder pages often. Carol (lowbelly) doesn't seem to post here much anymore but by using FB I have bought 5 snakes from her the past 2 years. I've also bought a snake from chris68 on here using FB. Since I don't have FB if I need to make a deal from there I just have my wife handle the communication. She also maintains our reptile/rodent facebook page.
 
Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 PM   #69
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, now I have to eat my words.

I took a hard look at FaunaClassifieds since then, and have to agree. When I looked at actual figures, including the number of paid memberships and sponsorships that had expired and not been renewed, I came to the conclusion that no, FC isn't doing all that well any longer.

So, with that in mind, I have decided to close down the Board of Inquiry over there. The reason why is simple. It is the ONLY section of any site I run that has some substantial liability associated with it. I get threats of lawsuits over what other people post there about every week or so. Eventually such a threat will become reality, and with so much support that has been dropped from the membership, I am just not going to be willing to stick my neck out any longer for anyone.

So what does that mean to this site? Well, quite simply, if funds dry up substantially after the BOI is gone, FC has been paying the bills for the server all my sites run on. So if it no longer proves to be worthwhile paying for a server and all the associated expenses, then the server has to go. Which will mean THIS site too will have to go. Because once my server goes, I will likely just cease running websites completely, and basically go into "read only, lurker mode" mode myself on the internet.

So anyway, my apologies for being defensive when I didn't have a REAL leg to stand on when I looked real hard at that leg. I guess my stance was more hoping it were true than it actually being true.
I just saw that in a couple days the BOI will only be available to contributors, does that mean you decided not to close it down completely?
 
Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 PM   #70
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I just saw that in a couple days the BOI will only be available to contributors, does that mean you decided not to close it down completely?
Actually I did decide to close it down on 02-02-2020, after I gave the paying members there 1 year with exclusive access to the BOI. But one of my moderators convinced me to instead, wait and see how things go. Honestly, I don't think it will make a difference, as too many people have left there, and I am not willing to keep on taking on the liability of a frivolous nuisance lawsuit from what other people post there without substantial support from the community.

It would be nice to be proven wrong in this instance, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

If I had the kind of liability here that I have there, this site would already be gone.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.





Fauna Top Sites
 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.03358293 seconds with 10 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo