• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Change of behavior - snake crawling back into their shed?

Carnelian

Hi,

I have an almost 3-year-old corn and he has never had any problems before. He has never refused a meal, comes out at dusk sometimes, or stays curled up under his log or burrowed in his aspen. He eats an adult mouse every 8-9 days (about 22-25 grams) and he currently weighs exactly 500 grams. He is great with handling and has never hissed, musked, or attempt to bite me. His sheds come off in one piece. He currently resides in a 20 gallon.

Over the past month, his behavior has changed. He shed about 2 weeks ago and he crawled back into his shed. He got out of it by tearing his shed and he decided to go back inside again. Ever since then he has been super active and restless all day and night. He will roam his viv looking for a way to escape, after 20-30 minutes, go back under his log (his favorite) and then go back out again a few minutes later. I'm concerned because he has never done this before. I thought maybe he wants to mate? Should I take him to the vet? Should I increase his tank size? Please let me know if I should do something! I want him to be as comfortable as possible.

I've attached a couple pictures of the beautiful boy ◡̈

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8489.JPG
    IMG_8489.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 30
He is spectacular!

It really sounds like he’s aware it’s mating season and is hoping to find a girl ��
Our males have been restless for the past several weeks, too.

My male shed 4 weeks ago and hasn't stopped moving since. He does this every year around spring time. I would concur with LyraFamily and he's just desperate to find a mate.

He's beautiful! That sounds like extremely typical spring time breeding behavior - nothing to worry about. However, his feeding schedule is quite aggressive. I would knock it back to once every 2 weeks and see how his growth is on that schedule. Now that he's an adult, he'll probably act like that every spring. He may also start refusing food, which is also nothing to worry about.

My snake is a male and he's always very active this time of year. It's mating season. He's out right now just staring at me. Usually he's hidden. Here's a test for you - Does your snake twitch and jerk if you rub him or hold him right now? That's the male "Mating Dance." Mine does that every time I touch him. (He usually starts acting this way in February or March and it can go on for 2 or 3 months.)

Back