CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?

Old 06-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
hypnoctopus
I found this one vet who is experienced with reptiles, if it comes down to that. https://cathospitalandbirdclinic.com

There is also a breeder in your state, Mt. Pleasant Herps. I don't know if they would be willing or able to help you (or if they're anywhere near you), but maybe you could try reaching out to them?

Old 06-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
darksidemike
Sounds like you're doing awesome, she's lucky to have you.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #23
darksidemike

Old 06-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #24
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I found this one vet who is experienced with reptiles, if it comes down to that. https://cathospitalandbirdclinic.com

There is also a breeder in your state, Mt. Pleasant Herps. I don't know if they would be willing or able to help you (or if they're anywhere near you), but maybe you could try reaching out to them?
Thank you so much for the info! You're very helpful.
I left a message to the breeder and I'm on the fence about calling the vet place. That's a 45min drive. I can't drive. I have to figure that out etc.
Today, I tried more massaging but the eggs won't budge, plus she's never calm. She moves too much. Except when she's back in the tank with her head up and hasn't moved in hours.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #25
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidemike View Post
Thank you , I am not so sure I am doing enough. I am worried about those 3 eggs that are still stuck in her. She hasn't push them down yet and it's been days now and time is running out.
I wish I was healthier right now (and money wasn't as big of an issue)

Old 07-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #26
hypnoctopus
How's she doing?

Old 07-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #27
Trimer
Hope this snake is doing Ok (and the owner too) a stressful situation for the first time. I was wondering if Mt Pleasant Herps had got any advice for this owner yet or indeed assistance? I have had a little experience of sudden eggs in Corn snakes unexpectedly. And also in removing undescended eggs via massaging. the condition of being egg bound in snakes is known as dystopia. The eggs I assisted in removing were all not far from the vent. One from one snake and three from another. I used a little vaseline around the vent to afford a bit of lubrication and just firmly pressed and pushed towards the vent . in the case of the three eggs I started with the nearest one to the cloaca first and it came out with a bit of persuasion. The other two followed and were a little easier to remove. All were hardened slugs. It helped that both snakes were very calm and used to being handled. The event of unexpected eggs that are sometimes fertile without the intervention of a male and then later on hatch out is known as Parthenogenesis. This has happened twice in our collection both times with a successful outcome-In one instance I was caring for a very small Snow corn female who had always been a poor feeder, no matter how many tricks and tips I tried. She was never going to reach any reasonable size to be considered for breeding. I Keep all our snakes in isolation so no male 100% sure. One day this skinny little Snow produced 7eggs two slugs 5 viable. I incubated the 5 good ones and they hatched. 4 males 1 female and all amels. An "expert" I communicated with told me it was impossible for a parthenogenetic event to produce both sexes and a different colour he claimed they should have all been female and all snow, in other words, clones of the mother. I tried to explain that this Snow corn ( who died after the laying session) was het for amel due to her different parents ( bred by me) I had all her history and notes on parents etc. This expert still denied me and claimed I had accidentally let the snake mate. I know this never happened. Sorry for being long-winded I hope you find it interesting. I am still raising those five Parthenogenetic babies today and they are all doing well.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #28
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
How's she doing?
Not too good. I finally was able to take her to the vet (after they had told me the exotic vets were booked solid for too months) I complained etc... And the vet didn't think drastic measures needed to be taken yet (aspiration, surgery). She had all the work up done and she is anemic as well as high white blood count which means she has inflammation. He gave her fluids, calcium shot and antibiotics which I started her on today. (The whole thing cost me around $400). He did want to do Xrays which were additional $260 but thought they weren't as urgent after I asked. He did say surgery would be way up there in cost, I'm thinking around $1000. Welcome to Massachusetts.
She has been hiding and not moving at all, today when I tried to grab her to give her the antibiotics shot, she actually squaled at me twice which I have never heard her do at all. I was not able to give her the full contents of the syringe because she flinched. I have experience in giving her this medication before.
She has lost so much weight even though she has eaten the two times in the past two weeks I offered her hoppers (yes she eats small rats) but with the eggs inside her shr has no room.
I can feel even the eggs have gotten small (so probably rotting) at this point I can't afford a surgery.. So I have to mentally prepare myself to say goodbye to my 15 year old companion who we share a birthday together and that is in 11 days.
I'm already heartbroken and feel helpless that I can't help her otherwise 😥

Old 07-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #29
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimer View Post
Hope this snake is doing Ok (and the owner too) a stressful situation for the first time. I was wondering if Mt Pleasant Herps had got any advice for this owner yet or indeed assistance? I have had a little experience of sudden eggs in Corn snakes unexpectedly. And also in removing undescended eggs via massaging. the condition of being egg bound in snakes is known as dystopia. The eggs I assisted in removing were all not far from the vent. One from one snake and three from another. I used a little vaseline around the vent to afford a bit of lubrication and just firmly pressed and pushed towards the vent . in the case of the three eggs I started with the nearest one to the cloaca first and it came out with a bit of persuasion. The other two followed and were a little easier to remove. All were hardened slugs. It helped that both snakes were very calm and used to being handled. The event of unexpected eggs that are sometimes fertile without the intervention of a male and then later on hatch out is known as Parthenogenesis. This has happened twice in our collection both times with a successful outcome-In one instance I was caring for a very small Snow corn female who had always been a poor feeder, no matter how many tricks and tips I tried. She was never going to reach any reasonable size to be considered for breeding. I Keep all our snakes in isolation so no male 100% sure. One day this skinny little Snow produced 7eggs two slugs 5 viable. I incubated the 5 good ones and they hatched. 4 males 1 female and all amels. An "expert" I communicated with told me it was impossible for a parthenogenetic event to produce both sexes and a different colour he claimed they should have all been female and all snow, in other words, clones of the mother. I tried to explain that this Snow corn ( who died after the laying session) was het for amel due to her different parents ( bred by me) I had all her history and notes on parents etc. This expert still denied me and claimed I had accidentally let the snake mate. I know this never happened. Sorry for being long-winded I hope you find it interesting. I am still raising those five Parthenogenetic babies today and they are all doing well.
That is amazing story.
I was able to move 3 eggs out of her the way you explained. The gentle massage. And the next day she way able to push an egg down again but got stuck and I repeated the process.. i thought there was hope... But the remaining eggs just never wanted to come down.
Also. I never knew there was a chance they could hatch. Now I wish I kept one or two that looked like good ones.
I used the flashlight and one or two had I guess a center nucleus? But did not see all red veins all around like I saw in youtube videos.
Anyway.. I know she is not feeling good and she is fighting an inflammation (because of tuck egg) and surgery is only way to save her) normally money is not an issue but with having two back to back surgeries and covid situation, barely making rent and bills..I don't want to lose her.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #30
hypnoctopus
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. If she passes, at least you know that you did everything that you reasonably could do. And 15 years is a good age for a corn snake! Hopefully she pulls through for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google