• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

whats everyones thoughts

If the vendor gets $2,500 it would be awesome, and a definite boost for the Cornsnake market. If not, then the price has to be lower. An animal is only worth what people are willing to pay

When the Lava Plasma was listed for sale, she has generated the most interest and emails that I have ever responded to about a corn snake. Considering that she is a world's first, and carries a nice combination of genetics, $2,500 really isn't asking too much. Nanci is right - it never hurts to make an offer.

Beautiful snake! But once the first combo is available and all of its relatives with some or all of the same genetics are in the gene pool, too, it won't be long before there are many more. The market for $1000+ corns is very, very limited, especially for combos in which the various traits are already readily available. I would guess that other people are also working on similar projects, too. If you were to invest in something so expensive, you would want a male so that you could outcross it to as many females as possible that have as many of those traits as possible so you could recover the combo relatively quickly. As the very least, you would want a male (to pair with that female) that shows some of the traits and is het for all of the other so you could produce at least some in the first generation.

I think it may sell at it's asking price for a few reasons-
1. It's actually a very pretty snake
2. The genetic potential is amazing, with Lava and Lavender being hot morphs right now
3. With things like Palmettos popping up for $4,000, I think a market for higher end corns may pop up and this is a perfect combo to buy if you're dealing with high end Corns

If you were to invest in something so expensive, you would want a male so that you could outcross it to as many females as possible that have as many of those traits as possible so you could recover the combo relatively quickly. As the very least, you would want a male (to pair with that female) that shows some of the traits and is het for all of the other so you could produce at least some in the first generation.

Unless you simply wanted a one-of-a-kind living work of art. Many, perhaps most cornsnake buyers don't ever intend to breed their pets.

It's always fun to have the only one, to be able to watch it develop, to document its progress with photographs.

"Unless you simply wanted a one-of-a-kind living work of art. Many, perhaps most cornsnake buyers don't ever intend to breed their pets.

It's always fun to have the only one, to be able to watch it develop, to document its progress with photographs."

That is true of typical corns. But I doubt that many people spend $1000+ on a corn they don't intend to breed. But if somebody can afford to do that, more power to them, lol!

If it was a new mutation and no other related snakes were alive, it might remain one of a kind. But when the component genes are readily available, it won't remain one of a kind for too long, even if the purchaser never breeds it.

It is up to each person to decide how much they can afford, and if a particular animal is worth the asking price FOR HIM OR HER. There can be lots of reasons to buy an animal besides its value in a business sense. So it is a very personal decision for each person. But from a business perspective, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a new combo that others can also produce as quickly (or almost as quickly) as the new purchaser could. For a new gene, such as the Palmetto, getting in early is probably a better business decision than getting in early on a new combo of "old" genes, IMHO.

I am not saying anything negative about the beauty of the snake - it is gorgeous. I am only commenting on its business potential, which may not be at all important to the new purchaser. And I also agree with setting a high initial asking price. It is worth whatever the market will bear - an unknown value right now. You can always go down if it proves to be set too high. But you can't go up if you set it too low. And selling the first few at less than the market would have paid only serves to cheapen the project, even in the longer term.

Some folks just have to have "the one and only". While the market may not be too cash flush right now "The Market" insofar as to who knows about corn snakes as "pets" continues to expand. If Justin Bieber had picked a corn snake instead of a boa, and all of a sudden corn morphs are all the rage because of his "market reach" $2500.00 for the next big thing could just be an opening bid ;)

They're only worth as much as you can get for them; nobody needs them...

Back