CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Specters and outcrosses

Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Kevin S.
Specters and outcrosses

After taking a break from snakes for about a year and a half, I got the urge to pick up a few more and quickly got tempted back into a corn project. I'm picking up where I left off-with specters and specter outcrosses. I'm glad to see some people are still working with these, but it seems no one has any F2s from crossing them with other morphs yet. Hopefully I'll have some specter motleys when I breed mine and I'm mulling over some other potential pairings that may be interesting.

Anyway, here are the new additions to get me back in the corn game. First up is a specter male. For those that don't know, specters are a line of unusual ghost corns that trace back to an unusual wild caught individual Kathy Love acquired in Naples, FL. They tend to have pink background coloration, though some don't (the non-pink individuals are sometimes referred to as banshees), and sometimes have yellow coloration in their dorsal saddles, but not always. Pattern aberrancies are also common in this line as well as thick black saddle borders. So there are a few interesting traits prevalent in this lineage, but they can be expressed independently of one another and their mode of inheritance is still uncertain.

This female is the result of breeding a specter to a ghost motley. She has just a touch of the yellow saddle coloration, but not nearly as obvious as some.

This boy is the offspring of a specter and a strawberry motley het for anery. Interestingly, he shows a fair amount of pink background coloration already and should be a colorful adult. Apparently the pink coloration can be expressed in some first generation outcrosses, but not all. I'll be interested to see what results from pairing him with other specter outcrosses.

Finally, here are two female siblings to the male above. At least one of them appears to be showing some pink coloration already, but it's very difficult to represent it accurately in photographs. I'm curious to see how they will develop as they mature.

These are all quick pictures taken just after I got them. I'll try to get some better shots soon and hopefully I'll have a few new additions to add in the near future as well.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
turkeytim
Who did you purchase them fom

Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
King Cornelius
Very cool, thanks for sharing..

Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
AliCat37
Specters are definitely my favorites.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Very neat, I love specters.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
ghosthousecorns
Nice snakes and good for you to get back into the hobby! I agree people don't work enough with specters. I remember first hearing about "Naples Ghosts" a long time ago and I always wonder if I had acquired some back then what I could have bred them to by now... Nice to see someone making them a specialty.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Chromatic Corns
Good luck on the projects and welcome back to the snake world

Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
NikiP
Curious, did the younger group come from Jorge? If not, i'd love to know who from. I bought a pair from a similar pairing, if not the same, though I went for a hypo/strawberry female. Planning on crossing the male ghost back to the sister & to a salmon ghost from Walter Smith.

If there's someone else out there doing the same cross, I wouldn't mind picking up more.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
snakepunk
Glad your back, Kevin. Hopefully you, Jorge, or others I had sold specters to can help me figure them out!

In retrospect, I guess it would have been wiser (and easier) to have bred specters to normals instead of every other morph I could get my hands on. But I have to admit the F1's from specter x sunkissed really surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
snakepunk
A few of the specter crosses I've done:

Specter x strawberry motley het anery

One of my Specter x Silverqueens (what I call my "kaiser corns")

F2's from classic (specter x fluorescent) x banshee (specter type b)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google