CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn snake ate rat to hips then spit it out!

Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #11
Phruit Dish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiakvam View Post
I have two thermometers, one on the far end on the cool side and the other on the far side of the warm side
Are they digital thermometers with probes or dial thermometers? Where on each side are they placed? (on the substrate? on the sides of the viv?)

Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
smigon
After reading your post again, you may want to bump up your temps. I set my thermostats on the UTHs to 86°, it keeps the top of the substrate at about 85° and the cool end at about 75° which are more ideal for corns.

Also, corns don't need heat lamps, they dry out the viv and are dangerous in starting fires or burning the snake. Corns are a breed that prefer the belly heat of your UTH to digest, they are not basking snakes.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
Chip
No corn snake needs rats, the previous owner needed educating on proper care for the species. Frankly, I'm not sure the vet doesn't as well. Could you post a photo of your snake? If it's as big around as a small rat, I'm worried it may be fat.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
jreiakvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
After reading your post again, you may want to bump up your temps. I set my thermostats on the UTHs to 86°, it keeps the top of the substrate at about 85° and the cool end at about 75° which are more ideal for corns.

Also, corns don't need heat lamps, they dry out the viv and are dangerous in starting fires or burning the snake. Corns are a breed that prefer the belly heat of your UTH to digest, they are not basking snakes.
It's hard to know what do to because everything i research says something different!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiakvam View Post
It's hard to know what do to because everything i research says something different!
You have people with decades of experience keeping hundreds of corn snakes here. I will take the consensus advice you get on this message board over any care sheet on the web. If your temperatures are warm enough for digestion, that is not the issue at hand, though you might benefit from getting them dialed in. The foremost issue that I see is that you are feeding a corn snake small rats. I currenlty have 54 non-breeding adult corn snakes that are fed a small mouse weekly, some alternate a hopper. A small mouse weighs 13 to 18 grams. This is plenty of food for maintenance. A small rat weighs between 45 and 85 grams. Fed weekly, that is guaranteed to make your snake fat.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #16
jreiakvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Rats are more fattening that mice, and Nanci is right, one large mouse every 2-3 weeks is plenty even if it doesn't seem like enough.

What does she weigh?
Well thats good to know! I don't want her to get obese.
I don't really have a way to weight her so I'm not sure.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Chip
Post a photo, please. If it's really bad, we can tell.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
jreiakvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I can't seem to figure out to get a picture on, it wont accept any saying they are too big. I'll work on it

Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
jreiakvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I created a photo album hopefully you can access!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Chip
If it's this album consisting of one photo of the anterior portion of the snake (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/alb...ictureid=15551), then I found it. However, it is the other end of the snake that fat tends to build up on, not the the front half.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, feeding, problem, rats