CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

9 year old docile snake bit for first time

Old 09-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
sandstar942
Unhappy 9 year old docile snake bit for first time

Hey everyone

So im the owner of a 9 year old and feeding her last night she looked at the mouse then turned around and bit me. She didn't hold on but age has never bit before and only struck when my old cat used to tease her in her cage (~5 years ago)
I just moved her to a new house and new cage so she is likely stressed but I didn't want to put off feeding her just because of this.
In the future should I make her wait longer? It had been 10 days since moving and probably a total 20 days since feeding. I had been told to wait until after the move to feed her. Next time should I feed her first? Normally when moving she has been fine. Shes used to activity in the house so it's just very unusual.

Any tips would be great! And any recommendations to stop this in the future or assurance that she may never bite again are welcome. Shes a family pet and I dont want my girlfriend or friends to be scared of her.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Nanci
She was probably just really hungry and bit you by accident. They don't have the best eyesight and are attracted to movement.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
sandstar942
Thanks. Generally she refuses food if it's under 3 weeks anyway though so I think she was more stressed than hungry... since she turned six I cant get her to eat before at least 14-21 days.
I appreciate your reply all the same

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
ravendance
My adult corn has only nipped me once, my fault, my finger smelled like a mouse....thankfully it doesn't really hurt....I second what Nanci said, she probably thought you were her food

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
sandstar942
Sounds good!
Thank you both, wanted to be sure it wasn't me being a bad "mom" :P

Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
smigon
No, NOT a bad mom!

When you move a snake into a new enclosure or new home it is best to give them time to adjust, a week is usually a good amount of time, before feeding or handling.

I am sure she is not vicious, just startled and not used to the new smells and sights around her. When you go in to feed or hold her in a week or so, do it with the confidence you have always had with her, no trepidation that she will bite again, that will assure her that you are still the same nice mom you have always been and she is safe with you.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
peaches987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
She was probably just really hungry and bit you by accident. They don't have the best eyesight and are attracted to movement.
This! Sound like a good Mom to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google