CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Phone camera pics

Old 04-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
DollysMom
Phone camera pics

The camera most of us have most handy to take pictures of our corns are our phone cameras. They may not be what we use for staged shots, but certainly much of our snake buddies' lives are captured by phone.

So I'd love to hear which phone camera you use and what your results have been. Do you have any tips for getting better pics with your phone? Also what apps do you use to do any editing or processing?

I've only taken pictures of my Dolly with my phone so far. If you are curious, they are in my Dolly album under my profile. I don't own an SLR, digital or otherwise. I do own a fairly capable Canon point and shoot with a great zoom. It doesn't do low light as well as my phone IMO, but in order to get good shots with my phone I need to be right there.

My iPhone 6 is pretty capable and I'm pleased with the results so far, but they are admittedly snapshots. I don't consider myself a photographer.

Please, anyone who has a phone camera and an opinion, jump in! Give your thoughts, tips, criticisms, limitations, frustrations, and successes.

One last thought-- I have an iPhone, but a have full respect that there many great phone cameras on other platforms like Android and Windows Phone. So please be respectful of everyone's choice of phone camera and platform.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Dahliasmom2012
I have a Samsung galaxy s4. I have trouble getting it to focus on Apophis. I like it but for smaller snakes it is a pain.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahliasmom2012 View Post
I have a Samsung galaxy s4. I have trouble getting it to focus on Apophis. I like it but for smaller snakes it is a pain.
Thanks for weighing in. Yes, you have to get right in on the little guys to get a decent picture unless you have a zoom. Digital zoom doesn't really help and I don't use it.

I wonder if anyone else here with a Galaxy S4 has ideas for getting it to focus. Are you able to tap the screen to tell it where you want it to focus?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 AM   #4
Dahliasmom2012
Yes. It's impossibly stubborn. With a larger subject it is fine but tiny Apophis it will try and then go right back out of focus. Getting closer makes it worse and zooming just degrades the quality so you end up getting a grainy pic.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahliasmom2012 View Post
Yes. It's impossibly stubborn. With a larger subject it is fine but tiny Apophis it will try and then go right back out of focus. Getting closer makes it worse and zooming just degrades the quality so you end up getting a grainy pic.
Yeah, I've found digital zooms on any camera, worthless. Its too bad it doesn't hold focus for you.

That's one thing I hadn't thought of but perhaps there is a third party camera setting (as opposed to post processing) app on the Android side that will give you more settings. I have a few camera apps but I haven't really played with them and don't know if they are cross platform. I hope that someone who knows will jump in and help out!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
Chromatic Corns
All my photos are taken with my iphone 5s (was a 4). I think it does an ok job but my biggest complaint is that it can't capture pink very well, or at least I have been unable to recreate how pink my slamon snows (from Walter Smith) are in real life. If your curious, the photos are all on my FB page linked in my signature. I don't use any photo apps either.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromatic Corns View Post
All my photos are taken with my iphone 5s (was a 4). I think it does an ok job but my biggest complaint is that it can't capture pink very well, or at least I have been unable to recreate how pink my slamon snows (from Walter Smith) are in real life. If your curious, the photos are all on my FB page linked in my signature. I don't use any photo apps either.
I have no way to compare the photos to life, but they are beautiful. I'd have never known they were taken with a phone camera if you hadn't told me.

Your snakes are awesome.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Chromatic Corns
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I have no way to compare the photos to life, but they are beautiful. I'd have never known they were taken with a phone camera if you hadn't told me.

Your snakes are awesome.
Thank you I could be wrong because I can't find the thread but I thought Nanci had mentioned a nice photo app before??

Here are 2 of my favorite pics shot with my phone ~ there is a chance I used the regular windows editing tool to brighten these, but I can't remember.

Name:  BP 11.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  283.5 KB

Name:  Claire 11.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  391.9 KB

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromatic Corns View Post
Thank you I could be wrong because I can't find the thread but I thought Nanci had mentioned a nice photo app before??

Here are 2 of my favorite pics shot with my phone ~ there is a chance I used the regular windows editing tool to brighten these, but I can't remember.
I wouldn't know those are phone photos without seeing the Exif data. And what beautiful snakes!

I don't do a lot of post processing, but on the IPhone I use PS Express. On the iPad I prefer Pixelmator which is how I resize pics for the forum. I also have tweaked photos on Windows, but I'm usually too lazy to go over and sit at my laptop for that.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
Elke
Hello!

Can you tell me what morph the top snake is?

Gorgeous!!! Simply, gorgeous!!!

Walter Smith snake?

��