CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Firearms

Old 02-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #21
67temp
We have a one gun a month law but it restricts you to only buying one handgun a month or 12 in a year, unless you have your collectors lisc.

One of the worst guns I've shot was a Mossberg 500 with trap loads. The stock was a thin plastic to reduce weight and the barrel was long with ports. That gun would constantly bruise my shoulder before I changed the stock and barrel to give it better balance while shooting.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #22
Twolunger
I bought a Khan 12 gauge chambered for 3 inch shells, made in Turkey. It was inexpensive and perfect for using in thick brush for rabbits and partridges instead of an expensive gun which could be scratched. I was surprised that the quality was very good, and it handled the 3 inch shells easily. However, I couldn't hit anything with it despite all the lead I was throwing with #6 shells. I set up a target after we had a snowstorm to see where the lead was hitting. At 100 feet the lead shot missed the whole 12 inch target, hitting a foot below it. I emailed the address on my warranty card asking for advice, with no response. I sent a copy of my receipt and a brief letter explaining the problem, to a place called Khan USA, with no response. I went to the local gun dealer looking for a decent shotgun and wanted to trade in the Khan. He wouldn't take it on a new shotgun, but had a very old Remington 1100 semi, so I bought it and he took the Khan. That Remington proved to be an excellent shotgun.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
Karl_Mcknight
(Pistols)
H & K USP .40 cal (for carry and self defense)
Beretta 92FS 9mm (aka M9) (for carry and self defense)
Sig Sauer 239 9mm (for carry and self defense)
Browning BuckMark 22LR (for cheap Sunday afternoon plinking)

(Rifles)
Bushmaster XM15 "Shorty" 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem. (For whatever I may need it for or if and when the Bull Droppings hit the Fan)
Ruger "Mini 14" 5.56 Nato/.223 Rem. (as above)
Savage Model 10 Bolt action .308 (As above but longer range. I can hit poker chips at 600 feet with it.)
Henry Lever action 22 LR (Sunday afternoon plinking, varmints)
Mossberg model 590 12 ga. Semi Auto Shotgun Tactical version (Home defense)

Current member of NRA, TFA, 20+ year member of a local gun club and range, have had a "Permit to Carry" issued by the state of Tennessee since 1995 (the year they started doing it). I pretty much carry some sort of pistol (one of the ones listed above) everywhere I go.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #24
Rich Z
Went to the local gunshow today to look for an aimpoint style sight for my new DP-12 shotgun. It was actually more crowded than I thought it would be for a Sunday afternoon. Superbowl Sunday, no less.

Sales seemed to be pretty brisk, as nearly all the vendors were busy having customers filling out paperwork. Saw a couple of guns that could have followed me home, but resisted.

The sight I found looks pretty handy, so I'll have to mount it on the shotgun and then sight it in. The guy I bought it from tried to sell me on a laser sight, but I'm not keen on those at all. They can be just about useless in bright light, and the one time I tried one I noticed that I was directing my attention on trying to find out where that blasted dot was more than I was on the target itself. Something like that could get you killed if used in an actual serious situation. So thanks, but no thanks. Maybe on a sniper rifle to let the target know "comply or die", but not for home defense.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #25
Twolunger
There is a gun show about once a month in Port Charlotte. The parking lot is always full. I went once because my son was buying another gun or two. What surprised me was the number of women that were looking at the handguns. I assumed they would be checking out .25 cal handguns, but they were looking at .380 and 9mm. Don't mess with Port Charlotte women. LOL. One gun that I like is the Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .45 Colt/410. It's small enough to carry in the field and packs a wallop. Every time I get enough money for one something else comes up.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #26
Rich Z
Back when I met Connie, the whole concept of guns just never came into any of our conversations. At the time, the only gun I had was a .22 handgun made by Stoeger in the styling of a Luger. I bought it from my cousin and paid maybe $25 for it. Still have it, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, the thought popped into my mind that I really should get something with a bit more punch to it, but I had no earthly idea what Connie would think of the idea. We were still living in the apartment at the time, so it had to be still pretty early in our marriage. Anyway, somehow I just casually slipped the idea into the conversation like "Hey, I've been thinking about getting a gun. Something a little bigger than my .22. What do you think?" She just looks at me without skipping a beat and says, "Good! As long as it is a .44 magnum!"

Well, okey dokey!

So in the next day or three we went out to a gun shop and wound up buying a S&W Model 29 with the 8 inch barrel. The "Dirty Harry" handgun. Still got that one too, as a matter of fact.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #27
67temp
What sight did you end up getting?

The red laser sight in movies I find annoying funny. A "sniper" is never going to use that. It's almost as bad as racking a shotgun or the slide of a pistol to show you mean business.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #28
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post

The red laser sight in movies I find annoying funny. A "sniper" is never going to use that. It's almost as bad as racking a shotgun or the slide of a pistol to show you mean business.
Or revving up your Harley at every traffic light.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #29
Rich Z
Quote:

Ah, sorry, I put it over in the other building so will have to try to remember to look next time I am over there. Cost something like $90 and has a lifetime warranty. It's not like I'm going to need pinpoint accuracy with a shotgun anyway, so it should be good enough. Would rather have purchased a site that doesn't need any battery, but none to be had there that weren't rather large traditional rifle scopes. Need to have a good amount of eye relief so I can mount the site anywhere I want on that top rail.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #30
Rich Z
Quote:
Here you go......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google