CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Underweight/ overweight snakes

Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
kenn1172
Underweight/ overweight snakes

I got my first corn snake 4 months ago at a pet store, they didn’t know the hatch date they just said she was 7-8 months at the time. Azura weighs 32.3g and is about 23in, sex is unknown. I wanted to know if this sounds like a healthy weight or not. I’ve been going off the Munson plan and would feed her 2 pinkies every 5 days, a couple months back my dad bought pinkies in bulk smh... he said she just needed to finish those mice before they buy anymore. I finally convinced my mom to get me hoppers for Azura and just started feeding them to her. I was doing more research on how to tell if you snake is underweight and I just got mixed messages, I wanna make sure she stays happy and healthy and I need to know if there’s anything I should change about her diet. Also her hot spot in the tank is about 85 and the cool spot is 72.

Recently I was given two more corn snakes because someone couldn’t keep them. Ones a 3 yrs adult male, the other is 13 months female. The adult male is on definitely seems to be on the chubby side, they said they fed him every 10 days, he also seems pretty active in his tank. What should I for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
A growing snake (anything less than an adult) can eat 10% to 13% of it's body weight per feeding. Babies eat every 4 to 5 days. Adolescents eat every 7 to 10 days, and adults every 14 to 21 days.

Your snake being young and small could eat weekly, perhaps even every 5 or 6 days.

The math is simple: you stated your snake weighs 32.3 grams. So, 32.3 X 12% = 3.88 grams. Whether you feed 2 pinkies or 1 hopper, try to make sure the meal weighs around the target weight.

Always weigh your snake after it poops the previous meal. Otherwise you're weighing 2 or 3 grams of poop as well.

As far as what a snake should look like properly fed:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google