CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #111
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
.....I think parts are pointless......LOL
"Thinking"....."pointless(ness)".....and "thinking something is pointless"......are all relative, a matter of opinion, and subjective things.
There is no place in wise judicious management decision-making, loosely or strictly speaking, for opinion partiality, or subjectivity.
In my job I must daily and hourly put all religious, philosophical, intellectual, political, and socio-economic "likes" and "dislikes" completely and totally aside in making wise managerial decisions. Do I smoke? No. Am I Muslim? No. Am I heterosexual? No. ......................
But do I ban all discussions of those subjects? No, I do not. No, I can not. Not at my work. And not in my own personal code of ethics.
It is my job as moderator and arbiter of my business to NEVER even let one of my clients know or discover where I stand at all on such subjects.

( I'm not jumping you, Mike, just borrowing your words because they are near. )

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #112
Darcpixie
So, Rich, now that we have all removed our dragons, would it be possible to re-evaluate to see if we can have them back when the site is back to full functionality?

I can understand removing them when the dragon cave's hosting was having so many problems, but since there WERE NOT issue prior to the hosting issue, I would appreciate a second look.

WHY would I appreciate a second look? Because I find myself looking for a forum where I can use them. Which is sad.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #113
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
What Nanci said. In post #103...and others. And for that matter, what Dale has been saying for pages.
So, I am far from a computer geek, but how fast a page loads is determined by what is on that page...pictures, links, dragons, etc., not what is going on elsewhere on a forum. And there are Thread Display Options, like Em Wright indicated. Also, I do know enough to know that the dragon cave function does significantly slow things down. I participated once, but if terminating that function speeds things up, then I'm willing to make a CONCRETE sacrifice.
I do not see DYK as a CONCRETE issue. How people view it is still based on opinion and personal tastes....from everything I have read so far on this thread. No exceptions.
If you don't want to load DYK, then do not go there. If you don't want to read DYK, do not go there. If Elle having a Robbie bothers you, do not go there.
As for DYK, there are tons of sites, tons of forums, tons of threads, etc.,....not to my tastes,...so I do not torture myself by going there...Good Heavens, people, that does not take a genius to figure out. Or maybe it does.

Yes, what Eric said. We've digressed quite a bit from the signature graphics issues.

I've stayed off DYK because I'm one of those unimportant rural people with dial-up. When elsewhere (work, library, etc.) I checked it out occasionally and usually got a chuckle. Like KJ, some of the content has actually kept me from recommending the site to some people. As a high school teacher, I love that my classroom snakes have gotten people interested in the hobby. As a teacher, I can imagine all too well the furor that might come up if some parents went wailing to the school board that I was corrupting their child because of some inappropriate content.

Now, about those signature graphics. Surely we're all agreed that Rich is right on this one, right?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #114
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
My 10% was for the US only. Quoted from The Christian Science Monitor, which had the most recent data I could find, most of the rest being from 2002-2003 or so.
I've never heard of the Christian Science Monitor, but I do use W3C for internet statistics. They don't, however, track connection speed.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #115
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
Rich doesn't need to be equitable.......lol. He just needs to do what he thinks is best for him, the site, and/or its advertisers.

FYI - I couldn't care less about the DYK thread. I am concerned about some of its CONTENT. I do have a care about saignature images in all threads, though.

Hey KJ, I do feel your pain as I am on dial up at work. The only time the dragons caused an issue was when the dragon site when down for a couple of days and I went into DYK where so many people have them. I didn't notice much of a difference in the general forum. I just thought having one would be a nice compromise.

Did you catch this thread?
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=60

I think it's great news and should help you with your lag issues a lot.

If people can turn them off if it slows them down, why can't we keep just one or two?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #116
Nanci
You know, we never used to be able to have a banner in our signature. That is a relatively new thing, that Rich enabled. It's very common on other forums I read.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #117
snakewispera snr
Quote:
"Thinking"....."pointless(ness)".....and "thinking something is pointless"......are all relative, a matter of opinion, and subjective things.
There is no place in wise judicious management decision-making, loosely or strictly speaking, for opinion partiality, or subjectivity.
In my job I must daily and hourly put all religious, philosophical, intellectual, political, and socio-economic "likes" and "dislikes" completely and totally aside in making wise managerial decisions. Do I smoke? No. Am I Muslim? No. Am I heterosexual? No. ......................
But do I ban all discussions of those subjects? No, I do not. No, I can not.
It is my job as moderator and arbiter of my business to NEVER even let one of my clients know or discover where I stand at all on such subjects.

( I'm not jumping you, Mike, just borrowing your words because they are near. )
Who's the voice of reason now, Eric .
I meant pointless the same way Susan did, why would I want to know if some one is having a fag.... Whether you smoke or not, unless you can share a fag it's pointless....

Quote:
What Nanci said. In post #103...and others. And for that matter, what Dale has been saying for pages.
So, I am far from a computer geek, but how fast a page loads is determined by what is on that page...pictures, links, dragons, etc., not what is going on elsewhere on a forum. And there are Thread Display Options, like Em Wright indicated. Also, I do know enough to know that the dragon cave function does significantly slow things down. I participated once, but if terminating that function speeds things up, then I'm willing to make a CONCRETE sacrifice.
I do not see DYK as a CONCRETE issue. How people view it is still based on opinion and personal tastes....from everything I have read so far on this thread. No exceptions.
If you don't want to load DYK, then do not go there. If you don't want to read DYK, do not go there. If Elle having a Robbie bothers you, do not go there.
As for DYK, there are tons of sites, tons of forums, tons of threads, etc.,....not to my tastes,...so I do not torture myself by going there...Good Heavens, people, that does not take a genius to figure out. Or maybe it does.
I'm not really up on 'puters. Until about 2 yrs ago, I wouldn't have believed I could have 'friends', I never met.... In the bloody States, at that....
DYK.....I got more American friends I chat with, than British mates..LOL
Witchcraft of the finest order.....
So fast or slow, I don't know, it just appears on my screen.....
I'm just living up to my avatar and offering options to peruse.... LOL

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #118
jpccusa
Quote:
You know, we never used to be able to have a banner in our signature. That is a relatively new thing, that Rich enabled. It's very common on other forums I read.
I was surprised to see you started your sentence with "you know" and not DYK.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #119
carol
Quote:
Yes, that is exactly one of the things that Rich originally said "no" to. I'm so grateful he changed his mind, I really like them. I didn't realize it was slowing other people down, but now that we know dial up users can disable them.... problem solved, win/win.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #120
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Who's the voice of reason now, Eric .
I meant pointless the same way Susan did, why would I want to know if some one is having a fag.... Whether you smoke or not, unless you can share a fag it's pointless....
If I am in a deep, heated, important conversation with Elle, and she's going to leave the conversation for 5-10 minutes for a cigarette,....it is very important to me. The opposite of pointless.

Quote:
I'm not really up on 'puters. Until about 2 yrs ago, I wouldn't have believed I could have 'friends', I never met.... In the bloody States, at that....
DYK.....I got more American friends I chat with, than British mates..LOL
Witchcraft of the finest order.....
So fast or slow, I don't know, it just appears on my screen.....
I'm just living up to my avatar and offering options to peruse.... LOL
I did not know until several years ago that during the Inquisition, the Holy Mother Church did indeed employ a "Devil's Advocate". And you engaging in that purpose is perfectly fine with me. I think you and I agree more than we disagree, anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google