CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Rescued Snake - please help

Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Raven
Rescued Snake - please help

I just picked up a new corn tonight. She was in a tiny tank, maybe 5 gallons, with nothing but a water bowl and coconut substrate. I am fairly certain she is gravid and possibly egg-bound. The vet will not be open until at the earliest Tuesday.
I have put her in a 20 long with a generous sized humidity/lay box with damp sphagnum. She seems extremely happy about that. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Raven
She also has odd red swellings randomly on her, but I can't get a good photo of them.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Shiari
She looks obese and may have what are sometimes referred to as 'hips'. Definitely still take her to the vet. What you've done so far is definitely good.
If she poops for you before the vet visit, collect as much of it as you can and bring that sample with you.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Raven
Thanks Shiari! I was wondering if that was possible. What is the best way to keep a snake fecal sample "fresh"? Would exercising her help like it would other animals? Are there any long term problems associated? I was told she's only 1.5 yrs old, but she seems big. Sorry for all of the questions.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
Shiari
She probably is overweight for her age due to the small cage size and being overfed. Drop her down to once every 10 day feeding for now. As for keeping a sample 'fresh', put it in a plastic baggy, get as much air out as you can, and store it in the fridge, but not the freezer.
Exercise would definitely help, but wait until you get back from the vet to make sure she isn't eggbound *and* fat, as obesity can cause the former. But she is also rather young to be producing eggs if that age is accurate. Not completely unheard of, but very very uncommon. Long term, being chronically overweight is going to shorten her lifespan so we want to get that weight off slow and steady.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Raven
Ok! Hopefully she just has some extra weight. I'll try calling some of the other vets around maybe one is open this weekend.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
Raven
Earliest appointment I could get is Thursday morning. I'll know more then!

Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Raven
Update: Just got back from the vet. Snow White is indeed a female. She weighs 464 grams. Initial fecal was negative for parasites. X-rays confirmed that she is gravid and has no tumors nor is she obese. The vet suspects that the swellings and lumps are due to trauma/injury from her previous living conditions. Time to keep my little momma to be happy!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Raven
Happy girl

Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
Raven
6 days after shedding... she's in and out of her lay box. I don't know who is more antsy waiting for the eggs, her or me?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google