CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Blisters on Scaleless ?

Old 07-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Sdieser
Blisters on Scaleless ?

Hi guys,

Looking to see if anyone has ever come across this: scaleless corn snake has a few odd white blisters. These just appeared overnight after feeding.

He is on Aspen in a 22qt tub with temps ranging from 25°C to 29°C. And humidity pretty constant between 40 and 50%. Heat source on hot side is inderect back heat, not heat source touching the tub where he could burn himself...

Any ideas? Im hoping he is just going to shed out of it, but the breeder had never seen this before...

Old 07-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
to the best of my knowledge there are 2 primary reasons for blisters on snakes. 1. Burn from heat, 2. Blister Disease caused from high moisture. (Link below)

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Rept...ister-Disease/

Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
Sdieser
50% humidity max on dry aspen with just a water bowl wouldnt be enough to cause blister disease in a corn surely?

And i can't think of any heat source that could have come into contact for a burn, so I'm a bit stumped...

Wondering if friction could cause blisters like it will with other skinned creatures? Scales would protect from abrasion, but scaleless may be more prone? Not clue...

Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
just make sure the aspen is dry. If the snake spilled water, it could seep down to the cage bottom. The Aspen could look or feel dry on top, but could be wet below.

Not sure about friction. The snake would have to do a lot of fast rubbing on something to get a friction burn. That does not seem possible to me.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Twolunger
If this is indeed blister disease you will need a good vet. The only times I have seen actual blister disease it was caused by too dirty and/or moist substrate. That doesn't seem to be the problem with your scaleless, or vivarium. The blister disease usually starts in the belly area, but can be seen on the side of some snakes. I assume that you paid good money for that nice scaleless, so get it to a vet quickly, if you haven't done so already. Do let us know what the vet found. While I have no experience with scaleless, they are becoming quite popular and others will like to know the outcome.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #6
Sdieser
It appears to be getting better every day I look at him, but seems like he needs a good shed. I do see pigment underneath the blister now, its less opaque. Kinda like when they turn blue in the eyes and then clears up a few days later... He's eating well, curious and calm. Not showing any signs of stress.

I'm going to give it until his next shed to see how he looks, provided nothing gets worse or changes.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
DeuceRon
Good luck to you. Sure is a good looking and colorful pattern!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google