CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Feeding while in clear stage after blue...?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Saml8
Feeding while in clear stage after blue...?

Hi all! So my corn went into blue 3 days ago which was feeding day (I feed every 7 days). I decided not to try and feed her because we were going out of town for 3 days. We got back today and it appears she is in the clear stage (no shed yet). I've read people say they do not offer food during the blue face… Does that mean only when the eyes are cloudy or also the stage right after (before shedding)? I'm trying to decide do I offered her food now since we're going on 10 or 11 days since her last feed or do I wait until she has shed...which could still be a couple more days out. What are your feeding routines around blue phase/shedding?
**I believe she is about 8 months old

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
When it's feeding time and I notice any of my snakes at any stage of pre-shed I'll skip the feeding that week for that particular snake. If it's a thin snake I'll feed it soon after it sheds.
In short I wouldn't feed your snake until after it sheds.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Saml8
Sounds good, thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for not feeding during the pre-shed phase?

Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Frank Pinello
Sometimes they refuse to eat anyway.
Not sure about this but I always been concern that the stretching of the skin during feed may interfere with the development of the new skin developing below and /or cause the old layer to pull away prematurely.
Also I have notice that if I accidentally feed one of my snakes I didn't notice being in-shed, the snake will sometimes regurgitate the meal before it sheds.
I rather play it safe.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
MysticExotics
I do not feed in any of the shed phases, especially the clear phase.
I haven't had a lot of regurges in the past 8 years, but when I have, more we're from feeding in clear phase, than feeding prey size too large.
They probably cannot get the shed past the food lump, so they regurge so they can finish shedding.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I haven't had a lot of regurges in the past 8 years, but when I have, more we're from feeding in clear phase, than feeding prey size too large.
They probably cannot get the she'd past the food lump, so they regurge so they can finish shedding.
Similar to MysticExotics, I've had one that fed, started to shed and got about half way done. The extra movement from the shedding process caused a regurge. He finished shedding then ate his regurge.

It doesn't hurt them to skip a week of eating.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Saml8
This is really good information. Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
m.lee.norris
I’m with Frank, I don’t feed my snakes until they’re done shedding. I bet they’d take it but it’s not going to hurt them to wait til they’ve shed and they’ll feel much less vulnerable by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
They probably cannot get the shed past the food lump, so they regurge so they can finish shedding.
There is an additional danger that should be kept in mind. In a situation like above, the snake might not be able to regurge the meal, neither, because of the constriction caused by the rolled up skin in front of the meal in it's belly it is trying to shed.

Probably would be rare, but don't ever discount Murphy's Law looking over your shoulder. I've sure had my share of "Now how the hell could that have happened?" moments.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
Saml8
This is really good insight for a new snake owner like me. I've only had my snake for about 3 1/2 months and so far her feedings, coincidentally, have not landed at the same time as the shedding phases. I just figured people didn't offer food at this time because there was a chance the snake would not want to eat... however, very slim chance my snake would ever refuse a meal... so very glad to know what could possibly happen!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google