CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

that purple snake

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
bryanc
that purple snake

So Rich I was wondering about that gorgeous lav-blood you have on your site. That thing is purple and my dream snake. but anyway, do you remember anything about it? What sex? I assume you kept it for your line, is it been bred yet?

I ask because I am saving my pennies for one of those beauties and I'd love to get one with such a great purple color.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Rich Z
Beats the heck out of me. I'm sure I still have it, but I just couldn't lay my hands on it without a lot of searching.

One of the things I have noticed about the Lavender lines and it's derivatives is that they have a "blooming" period where all the colors just seem to glow. Then as they mature further, those colors will then fade away. Seen this in regular Lavenders and most definitely in the Lavender Motleys. So I guess it should come as no surprise that it happens in the Lavender Blood Reds as well.

Of course, as babies, there really doesn't seem to be much in the way of indicators as to which ones will blossom the most. Right now I have a Lavender Blood Red that is getting a tremendous amount of red wash over it (which gives a kind of interesting effect over the normally lavender colored snake), so I have NO idea how that one may turn out later on in life. Will that change into a more purplish looking animal? Beats me. I try to avoid giving the impression that I have some sort of crystal ball for these sorts of predictions....

Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
bill38112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
One of the things I have noticed about the Lavender lines and it's derivatives is that they have a "blooming" period where all the colors just seem to glow. Then as they mature further, those colors will then fade away.

Say it ain't so! That photo of the purple snake is what got me into collecting corns. Any theory as to why the colors fade with age? I thought they just kept getting better.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill38112

Say it ain't so! That photo of the purple snake is what got me into collecting corns. Any theory as to why the colors fade with age? I thought they just kept getting better.
Nope, I really don't know, but it certainly is the case from what I have experienced. Maybe it's just something akin to our hair turning gray with age, but in snakes it is the scalation that changes....

Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Vinman
Rich that adult male hypo lav blood I sent you as a baby it was pastle coral orange and pastle coral pink . As it grew it was mind blowing pastle colored snake . When it was a adult it faded into the color it is now. I wish you could post a pic of him since I dont have one myself . I also notice this dramatic change in ghost and ghost bloods and anery bloods. wher they go from a lavenderish purple into a grayish tone

Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
jazzgeek
I tell ya, that Lav Blood should have been named Helen (or Henry) of Troy.

It's the snake that launched a thousand breeding projects.

regards,
jazz

Old 02-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Rich Z
Interestingly enough, the Hypo Lavender Blood Reds are COMPLETELY different looking from the Lavender Bloods. You would think they would be just a lighter purplish color, but that is not the case. Much more pinkish and orange tones in the coloration, as vinman indicated.

From this and other evidence, I'm beginning to think that Hypomelanism is not as simple as we once thought......... And making me rethink some ideas I once had about some things involving it.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
stangs13
Rich, do you have any plans on breeding some of your Lav-Blood stock to Amels and Anerys? I think that would be a really cool combo! Stripes and motley Lav-Bloods would be awesome too.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill38112

Everything fade with age.
Color, memories, looks. It's called aging.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
dwyn127
This guy deserves a thread of his own, but thought he was deserving of this thread too. Took these today at feeding time exactly 24 hours after shedding. He's got a 66% chance of being het Hypo.

The last pic, he was tired of the flash and wanted me to leave.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google