CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

"Playing" with food

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
Ayidah
"Playing" with food

I knew Ayidah was quite hungry because when she is she spends more time out of her hide looking for food. I took her out to her feeding tub where two small fuzzies had been thawing for about 30 minutes. She smelled them both and spent a good 5 minutes pushing and flipping it with the top of head (mouth closed) and then stopped and went back to walking around. After a while I decided to get her more interested in the food by picking it and wiggling it with metal tongs. She recognized the tongs right away and started rattling and staring at them before I even picked the mouse. Once the mouse was wiggling at the end of it, she striked, but right after she got the mouse to the ground, she released it and moved away. I repeated the "game" with the other fuzzy and this time she went on to swallow it. Later on, she walked back to the mouse she previously spit out and after pushing it around again, she finally decided to swallow it.

What a weird feeding session. Did the pre-strike rattling, pre-eating "food play", or any of these things happened with your snake too? What does that usually mean? Was the mouse not thawed enough? Was she not hungry?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
smigon
I want to see your "walking" snake! Cute visual!

Did you feel the temp of the fuzzies before you put her in with them? I always soak them in very hot water for about 20 minutes before feeding, it is possible they weren't warm enough for her. If she did end up eating I think you are just fine. And yes, food play, rattling, pushing, all have been experienced by most of us, I think. This time of the year has been odd too, so I think that might have something to do with it too for some snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google