CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

1+1=30

Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
wade
1+1=30

This is what happens if you don't pay attention.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
crackerhead
Do you have a before pic? I usually describe pregnant mice as looking like they swallowed a golf ball. That mama must have looked like she ate a tennis ball!
Terri

Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Drizzt80
Are you using some combination of old math and new Wade?! I count 34 hoppers and 5 adults . . .

D80

Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Coty
Quote:
Are you using some combination of old math and new Wade?! I count 34 hoppers and 5 adults . . .
Wades Weptiles, Wodents, and Wathematics?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
wade
I haven't actually counted them. I usually thin the herd when they are younger so I don't get so many weanlings all at once. I guess I missed this group.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Devilscat
That's what happens when you don't thin them out. Do you raise them for your own use. They look very healthy. How many colonies do you keep.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
wade
I keep them for my own use. I run about 30 colonies depending on the time of year. Right now I'm cutting down because my freezer is pretty full and it's getting close to fall.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
dakota11
your bins!!!!

How do you run your colonies? the reason I ask is because I have 3 ten gallons with two females in each raising lil ones Took the male out of those after breeding those are doing great that is how I have been breeding them. I recently got 2 groups 4 females and a male in each 20 gal aquarium none of those ready to drop yet. Not sure if I should separate the other 2 groups/remove male or leave them together? I went all out with trying to create bins but the water leaking and the mice would jump to the top of the bin where I cut the hole and replaced with 1/4" mesh and run upside down chew well the bin thing just isnt working don't know what I did wrong/ dont want loose mice but Im not going to get any more tanks to clean Ill reduce the mice before doing that! I have a bunch of empty bins! btw I only have 2 corns but selling hoppers to the pet store. would you mind letting me know how you have the lids of your bins set up?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
wade
I run my colonies at 1.4. Once they are set up I never change them. I leave the male in with the females and never take him out. If all four females have litters at about the same time it gets too crowded when they are weanling size so I will take a lot of the babies at a smaller size.

I monitor the production of each colony and when production drops off I replace the whole colony with a younger one. They usually last 6 to 8 months. I feel like personality traits are inherited so if I have a colony that is nervous or tries to escape or kills babies of just pisses me off, I never take future breeders from that group.

The tubs are held tight against a screen top. I have a drip water system to each tub. There is a food hopper across the back on top of each one as well.

Hope that helps, here is a picture of one of my racks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google