CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

17 week old con snake

Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Mjdbutter
17 week old con snake

I have just got a 17 week old hatchling corn and she is incredibly jumpy while being handled, I understand the reasons why obviously not alot of human contact from the shop I bought her but I wondered how long this tends to last and if anyone has any tips to calm her down. Many thanks Mitch

Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
habistatman
Every snake is different they all have their own personality. All I would do is handle it frequently for short periods of time and gradually build up the length of time it is out of its viv. Obviously make sure you dont handle it for 48 hours after it has been fed. Persevere and you really should see results quite quickly.

Kindest regards

Habistatman

Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
bitsy
They tend to get more confident as they grow. As 'Stat said, the key is patience and gentle handling. The snake will eventually learn that it's safe when you pick it up - could take weeks or months, each is different. Remember that in the wild, everything would be out to eat it!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
rosewood
I got 3 2010's on april 23rd and they are already starting to calm down. I have only held them 4 times so far and they are getting much better. Just work through the initial freak out and let the snake run though your hands for a few mins, then put it back. I have been thinking I might post a video on handling new younger corns.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Dustilyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
. I have been thinking I might post a video on handling new younger corns.
That's a great idea. I'm sure many new owners would benefit from it. Seeing something demonstrated instead of just reading about it sure makes things easier to understand.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
BigByrd47119
Quote:
I have been thinking I might post a video on handling new younger corns.
+1, that's a fantastic idea!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
rosewood
That's what I thought too, I see so many posts on here where people ask if the sporadic behavior of hatchlings is normal. Which of course it is, and so many dont know how to deal with it or feel nervous doing so. I guess I will spend sometime taking vids holding my own corns on saturday I will post a link to this thread saturday night!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Mjdbutter
Thankyou i knew that it was normal behaviour and was not worried but my male normal i had from a year old and he never had a problem with handling so i just wondered how long she would take to calm down. many thanks mitch

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Strawberry
Quote:
That's what I thought too, I see so many posts on here where people ask if the sporadic behavior of hatchlings is normal. Which of course it is, and so many dont know how to deal with it or feel nervous doing so. I guess I will spend sometime taking vids holding my own corns on saturday I will post a link to this thread saturday night!
I was about to post a thread on this same topic. I also recently got a 2010 corn and it is extremely skittish. I had snakes growing up and now bought a corn for my children. It's eating fine but any attempts to handle it cause the snake to run and hide. I am gently picking up the snake and holding it in it's cage at this point. It seems like in order to make the snake stay in my hand I would have to either hold it forcefully, or continue to dig it out of it's hide and keep picking it up until it gets tired. This sounds too stressful to the snake to me. I'd love any advice on how to proceed. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
rosewood
Just pick up the snake no matter how much it fusses. It will actually become calmer faster if you take it right out of its home. Once it realizes your not out to kill it it should calm down enough that it will slither from hand to hand at a reasonable pace. I will probably make a vid tonight and make two more tomorrow, one of me holding each of my newer girls.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google