CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

1 male to every 3 female mice????

Old 07-03-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Sean22
1 male to every 3 female mice????

i have 1 male to every 3 female in ten gallon tanks
that good?

how many of the same sex can you keep in a ten gallan tank?
does anyone have any pics of a pregnant mouse because i think one of mine is preganant already

-thanks

Old 07-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Taceas
1:3 is fine in a 10 gallon. Just be prepared to clean them out more often. I found once I moved mine all to 20 gallon long tanks, the smell doesn't get too bad for over a week now. I'm currently running 3 - 20 gallon longs with 1:5, gotta ramp up for hatchling season ya know.

How many of one sex per 10 gallon? Well I wouldn't exceed 4 adults per any 10 gallon. The amount of ammonia in their urine is amazing, and if you crowd too many in without diligent cleaning you can have health and respiratory issues arise. You can keep younger mice at around 15-20 to a 10 gallon until they get fed off or euthanized for the freezer.

Never house adult males together for any period of time in any size enclosure. Fights will break out and infections can arise from potential wounds. They tend to aim for the testicles, so if they both get bit there, you're pretty much SOL.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
Sean22
lol ouch
thanks for the info
one more question

how do you freeze mice
you jut stick em in there?

Old 07-04-2004, 02:04 AM   #4
CptCupcakes
never done it but im pretty sure you just put them in a zip-loc baggy and seal it and put them in it... i could be wrong but thats what i think

Old 07-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
CornCrazy
You can put pinks in the freezer to euthanize them because it only takes a few minutes. You can not do larger mice that way. It is inhumane to simply put them in the freezer to die. I will admit I did it once, simply because I didn't know any better. The mouse was still alive the next day. I felt horrible. Freezing a larger mouse is a very slow, painful death for it. You would be better off killing the mice before freezing them.

The most humane way is by using CO2 gas. You can take a cartridge meant for a BB gun, open it, and place it into a small airtight container. Let the CO2 fill the container then place the mice inside. They should be dead in a minute or so.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
Sean22
could you freeze mice up to weanlings?
or is that to old
if you cant then what is the oldest size baby you could

Old 07-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
CornCrazy
I only freeze the pinks.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
Sean22
i guess ill see what happens when the time comes

Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #9
Sasheena
I've kept up to 1.6 in a ten gallon with a cleaning regimen of twice a week. No problem.

As for freezing.... as long as the mouse is naked (baby) you can freeze it. If it's a fuzzy, put it (or them) in the freezer bag, give the bag a good whack on a flat surface, then put them in the freezer. Once they are hoppers you can gas them (NOT before.... baby mice are resistant to hypoxia and it takes longer to die if you gas them then if you freeze them!)

To gas my mice I get a large plastic container with 18 inch sides. In that I place a shallow container with water and dry ice. I let that sit for five or six minutes and then in a small cage I place the animals at the bottom of the larger container (NOT on the ice) .... I put the cage sideways so that the air holes in the top are at floor level. They jump around for ten to fifteen seconds, and then collapse. Leave them in for five minutes so they suffocate, and you are done. I would never place a live furry critter in the freezer, just not humane.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #10
Taceas
For most of my larger mice destined for the freezer (if I have any) I just give them a quick whack or flick to the head and then lay them flat on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. This way they freeze individually and in a straight manner for the body. I found if you just flop them in the bag and then the freezer, it takes longer for them to freeze and you end up with weird shaped mice that you have to manipulate back so the snake can eat it properly once you thawed it.

If you're only feeding a handful of snakes, I would think buying pre-froze mice in bulk would be easier and cheaper.

The reason I whack is because there isn't a place for dry ice within 30 miles, the same for CO2 gas in tanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google