CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #51
Pogie
I was doing some research on those guys. I love the looks of them!!! Grats on your baby So are these out and about more so than corn snakes? I think one of those will be on my list soon....soon....lol. I love the eyes, look like cats eyes. Great name too.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
I was doing some research on those guys. I love the looks of them!!! Grats on your baby So are these out and about more so than corn snakes? I think one of those will be on my list soon....soon....lol. I love the eyes, look like cats eyes. Great name too.
Thanks for the kind words.

No, Clyde is about the same as my corns as far as out and about. Like corns, while considered terrestrial, they will climb and I've provided vines. I often find Clyde in a vine in the evening. AHS are considered nocturnal.

Other than needing 90 F on the warm side the care is very similar to a corn snake. I keep Clyde on paper towels rather than aspen because he is a little bit of a shy eater and I feed in viv. This decision was made in consultation with his breeder and provided some continuity for him as well. They can be kept on aspen, but not fed on. I always feed after dark and leave him in the dark to eat at his own pace. He eats very readily when the conditions he needs are met. Those conditions are right size prey, dark, and solitude. No other tricks have been needed.

AHS are considered a little flightier than most corns, but once on your hand they curl around your fingers in a way that melts the hardest heart. And yes, the eyes are nothing short of amazing. The eyes have "it", lol. I've had absolutely no striking or biting, but like corns YMMV.

They live about 15 years more or less. My son has had a housie, Norm, for 13 years. I'm sad that the math doesn't give Norm much longer. I'm pretty attached to him. After some research we think Norm is a B. fuliginosus since his head stripes are much lighter (almost invisible) and his body is patternless. Both species, fuliginosus and capensis are often confused. There is a patternless form of capensis, but generally they have patterns like you see on Clyde. Clyde is a lot lighter than Norm, who is the color of a chocolate bar, but both species' normals can be from almost black to light brown. Then there are a number of morphs.

One other difference from corns is a very distinct sexual dimorphism with males being much smaller. I knew that going into it. In fact, when I first contacted Tavia, his breeder, I volunteered right away that I knew that so she knew I understood what I was getting in a male.

One thing I still don't have a good picture of is Clyde's belly. While in some of the pics and you can see the shine on his scales, his belly looks like mother of pearl. You can see hints of that at the bottom of his sides. That is also a characteristic of several house snake species including both capensis and fuliginosus.

Compared to corn snakes, there is a dearth of information about AHS. I got a fairly thin but nice book for Christmas called "The Captive Care of House Snakes" by Erik Paterson. It's published in the UK. If you are researching, you can get it from Amazon Marketplace (third party sellers).

Brian Barczyk also had an episode about AHS on Snakesbytes.tv. A YouTube search should turn that up for you.

I do hope you pursue it. In my opinion, getting your own housie is a great idea. While WC imports have slowed, make sure you get CB. CB is the way to go.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #53
Pogie
Wow, thanks for all the info! I have watched them on youtube lol. I actually subscribe to snakebytes I love his little shows on there. In fact that's the first time I had ever heard of these was on his youtube page.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #54
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info! I have watched them on youtube lol. I actually subscribe to snakebytes I love his little shows on there. In fact that's the first time I had ever heard of these was on his youtube page.
Glad I can help. I feel like a housie evangelist! Glad you saw the AHS show on YouTube.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #55
DollysMom
No such thing as too many pictures!

I'm going crazy. I didn't know there was a 12 image per post limit, but I just hit it. I love holding little Clyde. I love taking pictures of him. He's so precious!

I finally have some pictures of his awesome pearly belly and caught his tongue in action. Of course, in the middle of it all he wanted to climb on the phone camera, lol. Even got some pics with my left hand with Clyde in my right hand. This is not easy for a very right handed person like me.

This is all natural light from a north window on a cloudy day. I know the last one is to say the least a soft focus, but I like it anyway.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #56
Karl_Mcknight
His belly is beautiful especially the 2nd pic. And I didn't know there was a 12 pic limit either. Guess you had to be the one to figure it out and let everyone know.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #57
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
His belly is beautiful especially the 2nd pic. And I didn't know there was a 12 pic limit either. Guess you had to be the one to figure it out and let everyone know.
Guess it had to be me, lol. It's probably buried deep in a FAQ somewhere. These are just img links, too. The pics themselves are on Imgur. I could see I was going to run through the storage limit here back in October!

It's really hard to describe their bellies without a pic. Generally the phrase "mother of pearl" or "pearlescent" is used but it does not really do these little guys justice.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #58
Tavia
Great pics!

It might be 10 for non contributors, I can't remember. Three of the forums I regularly post to are limited to 12 per post and the other is limited to 8, it's so very annoying to have that last one different!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #59
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Great pics!

It might be 10 for non contributors, I can't remember. Three of the forums I regularly post to are limited to 12 per post and the other is limited to 8, it's so very annoying to have that last one different!
Thanks. That always means a lot, especially coming from you. Clyde sends hellos to his birth family!

I took about 25 pics today, but some of them of course are complete blurs. One thing for sure, being a contributor here is well worth it.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #60
DollysMom
I cleaned out Clyde's viv today and totally changed out the paper towel substrate. It appears that he wouldn't have any more poop left so I weighed him. 14 grams today!

2 more grams and he will be double the weight he was when I got him a little over two months ago.

I almost forgot my funny story. Last feeding I was placing the pinky in the viv with the tongs and it rolled into the warm hide. I didn't know Clyde was in there. I took the tongs to move the pinky out and Clyde came flying out like "whacha doin with my mouse?" He then grabbed it and proceeded to eat. It was so cute!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google