CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Reptilinks™ review

Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Dragonling
Reptilinks™ review

Today I met up with Nick Helble, founder of Reptilinks, to pick up my order. He seemed like a stand up guy, dedicated to keeping his business small enough to control the quality of his product and use as little automation as possible. He makes many of the links and hand ties them himself, and takes pride in his work. Currently no machinery is used to make Reptilinks, but some moderate automation may be necessary in the future to keep up with demand.

So here are the mini links I ordered with a 2.5g frozen pinky for comparison. Each is approximately 3g of whole ground rabbit (minus intestines).

I also went ahead and got some hopper-sized rabbit and chicken links. They're around 10g each, but have some variation. I'm hoping by the time I get through the minis, he'll be just about ready for these, but we'll see.

He actually gave me 3 bags of the bigger links for free, which is pretty awesome. One of my coworkers just got a couple young boas that should be eating about this size prey or larger, so I will probably share some with him if he agrees to do a review as well.

Tango's next feed day is tomorrow, so I'll take video of the first offering.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
MysticExotics
I'm looking forward to seeing what the outcome is!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Nanci
I wish they had those for dogs- affordably...

Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
can't wait til they start handing them out at the checkout counter at PetsMart as Snake Treats

Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
DuxorW
How do they compare price-wise with feeders?

The extremely unpleasant Facebook group "Ball Python Owners" banned mentioning this product by name, implied that anyone that used them were idiots that shouldn't own snakes if they couldn't feed them whole rodents, and made false claims such as that they were full of preservatives (the manufacturer says they contain no preservatives). I figure that if they are as cheap or cheaper than rodents, are nutritious, and are more convenient, then why not?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing what the outcome is!
Me too! I'm still going to send you some this month, and he said he'd be happy to send you extras as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I wish they had those for dogs- affordably...
How cool would that be? And for cats, too! Rabbit meat is excellent for kitties, and getting the extras too without the risks associated with eating bones? Yes please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
can't wait til they start handing them out at the checkout counter at PetsMart as Snake Treats
LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
How do they compare price-wise with feeders?

The extremely unpleasant Facebook group "Ball Python Owners" banned mentioning this product by name, implied that anyone that used them were idiots that shouldn't own snakes if they couldn't feed them whole rodents, and made false claims such as that they were full of preservatives (the manufacturer says they contain no preservatives). I figure that if they are as cheap or cheaper than rodents, are nutritious, and are more convenient, then why not?
I think a lot of the fear stems from the ill-fated Snake Steak Sausages, which started out as whole prey but moved to cheaper meat by-product filling, apparently when the owner fell ill and was no longer in control of the company. These sausages are 100% organic, locally-sourced whole prey. The only thing missing is the intestines, which could potentially mean a very minor vitamin deficiency, but guarantees someone doesn't get a link full of partly digested rabbit food. Gram for gram, they're cheaper for me than ordering from Layne Labs, but I also have the added bonus of not having to pay for shipping.

Also ball python groups are notoriously snotty.

I'm rethinking my idea of trying the links this feeding. Tango is deep in blue, and I'm not sure it's wise to upset his feeding routine just now.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
DuxorW
I decided to look into them a bit more, and my impression is that the mini links are like feeding 2 pinkies instead of one (calorie wise) meaning you could feed one mini link half as often as you would one pinky. Likewise for the larger sizes. So it comes out as being much cheaper for me. I also order from Layne Labs as they have the best quality rodents I've ever ordered, but shipping here to Ohio is ridiculous for large orders (often exceeding $100.00). So the free shipping on orders over $200 saves me even more. I think I am going to try them out. I have one snake who is not growing and just regurged when I moved him to a small fuzzy. I think this might be a good way to get more calories into him in one meal in a small, easy-to-digest package.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of intestines in terms of nutrition. But the chicken and rabbit ones do contain the intestines of the chicken.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Also ball python groups are notoriously snotty.
Getting off topic, but Amen to that! They will argue with me over the fundamentals of genetics...I try to be humble but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about! But I left all the ball python groups and can barely tolerate the boa constrictor and retic nation groups, basically because of the pretty pictures.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #9
claire.chapman11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxorW View Post
Getting off topic, but Amen to that! They will argue with me over the fundamentals of genetics...I try to be humble but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about! But I left all the ball python groups and can barely tolerate the boa constrictor and retic nation groups, basically because of the pretty pictures.
You know what's even worse? Aquarium groups. The people just seem to be so rude about everything, and attack each other rather than giving constructive criticism.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #10
Dragonling
People are the worst, especially in organized groups.

I'm going to go ahead and offer a single link, probably the smallest I can find. He's a trooper, I have confidence in him. Even blind, he's never refused a meal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google