CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Bloodred breeding

Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
KatSea
Bloodred breeding

Hello everyone!

I know there are probably a lot of threads like this out there but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. So in the future I would love to breed my male bloodred (Captain Tuddles is his name. Letting my mom name him was the only way I could get him in the house), but I'm not exactly sure what morphs to breed him with to get other morphs (still new to the "if you put this with this you get this now or down the road" thing)

So I guess my main question is what morph can I breed him with to either get a different morph or pass down the gene for a different morph.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify or if you have any questions!

Thank you!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Shiari
The key thing to remember is that most corn snake morphs are simple recessive. That means that unless they are bred to a dominant morph (tessera, buff, redcoat) or an allelic morph (stripe and motley, amel and ultra, hypo and strawberry), the only way you can produce anything other than normal babies is to breed it to another snake of the same morph OR one that carries that gene in het form.

So, with a bloodred/diffused, you're going to want to breed him to something else with diffused in it. I would personally recommend getting an avalanche (bloodred/diffused, anery, amel) to check him for amel and anery as hets. If he's het for either of those, you'll get not just diffused babies, but also fires (amel diffused) and/or granites (anery diffused) and even a chance at more avalanches. Now, he may not be het for either trait, in which case you'd get all diffused/bloodred babies het for amel and anery.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
KatSea
Yeah sadly I'm not sure what all he is mixed with. He's kind of a rescue but thank you so much for the help!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Shiari
If he's a rescue, how certain are you of the morph and the sex? Plus, why did he go into rescue? Does he have any health problems that preclude it being a good idea to breed? Is he high enough quality, morph-wise, that he would be an asset to the gene pool?

Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Dragonling
Imagine we were talking about breeding a rescued cat or dog or even a hamster (yes, pedigreed hamsters are most certainly a thing) and you might begin to see why I would hesitate to advise breeding your snake. Unless he is an exceptional example of his morph, he is probably better off remaining a pampered pet. We are already beginning to see the adopt-don't-shop movement gaining a foothold in reptiles, and herpetoculture sees uninformed novices intentionally or unintentionally breeding pet-store-bought animals with unknown backgrounds indiscriminately every year. I am a strong advocate for breeding ANY species with the intent of bettering it. If you want to start a project involving bloodred with the goal of producing either higher quality morphs or introducing new combinations of gene mutations, I support the idea, and I would encourage you to start with high-quality, healthy animals from known stock.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
KatSea
When I say rescue I mean I got him from someone that was not taking care of him. The person I got him from got him from a breeder in a town next to us paid a pretty penny he just didn't know how to take care of him. Vet says he looks perfectly fine and healthy for breeding if I wanted to. With all that would you still advise me not to breed him and start with new snakes?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
blacktip
Can we see pictures? I agree with Dragonling. If you're really interested in breeding I'd recommend picking up some new stock with known hets so you know what you are producing and are more likely to produce babies that are not already over-saturated in the market.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
KatSea
Heres my most recent pictures. He really dislikes being handled from previous abuse but we are working on it. When I first saw him his lines were more noticeable and about the only markings you could see but after his last couple of sheds his spots are coming out more.

Heres a link to the thread about how I got him
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145240

Old 07-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Shiari
his color is not all that impressive but that may be due to how underweight he is. He is certainly nowhere near ready to be bred. Color evaluating will be easier when he's healthy.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
KatSea
He was actually a lot skinnier than this when I got him. I've kept him on one large mouse a week and he's putting on weight slowly but it's better than he was. I think what I might do is, later on, see how he's doing and then go from there. Right now I can only have him int he house but when I move I plan to get more so I might just get a new blood red and keep him as just a pet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google