CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

wild mice OK?

Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
mistafeesh
wild mice OK?

I live on a farm, and we have wild mice pretty much on tap(!)

D'you guys reckon it'd be OK to feed them to my lovely cornsnake?

Old 09-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistafeesh
I live on a farm, and we have wild mice pretty much on tap(!)

D'you guys reckon it'd be OK to feed them to my lovely cornsnake?
Most keepers will advise against this. Wild prey items may harbor parasites that can be transmitted to your snake(s).

Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
graffixcs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Most keepers will advise against this. Wild prey items may harbor parasites that can be transmitted to your snake(s).

I totally agree (Again Dean). While they could be treated it would be a lot easier, cheaper and faster to just buy either live or frozen mice, not to mention safer for the snake, although I would highly recommend feeding frozen thawed (F/T) whenever possible.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
mike17l
i have used wild rats to feed boas before, and it wasnt good. they were dead first, but i usually froze them for a week or so before i fed them. one time i had a fresh one and the snake was hungry so i tossed it in fresh, well two weeks later i had one of the worst mite infestations ever. my advice is either buy FT or at least kill and freeze the wild mice for a week or more.
mike

Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
starsevol
Good point....
there is also the possibility of catching a wild mouse with poison in its system.

Domestic feeders are never subjected to parasites or toxins or anything else that might harm your pet. And definately go with f/t if you can, most experianced herpers do.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
Jared
I dont think you guys realise that snakes eat wild mice? It's not like every snake in the world has mites.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
ultimuttone
Snakes in the wild eat what is available to them-wild mice. They don't have someone to make them a nice clean mousicle. That doesn't mean its the best they could get.
Feral cats will eat anything they find, but my house cats are fed Fancy Feast and Iams. I know what is in them and it won't make them ill. IMO don't our pet snakes deserve the same consideration?

Old 09-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
I dont think you guys realise that snakes eat wild mice? It's not like every snake in the world has mites.
Thanks for the tip professor. They also suffer high mortality rates from basking on busy roadways, from predators, and from parasite infestations. I keep my pet snakes away from asphalt, hawks, and filthy, wild vermin. But you go ahead and do things your way.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Thanks for the tip professor. They also suffer high mortality rates from basking on busy roadways, from predators, and from parasite infestations. I keep my pet snakes away from asphalt, hawks, and filthy, wild vermin. But you go ahead and do things your way.
Well said Roy, just wish that i could give you some more rep points right now but i can't. maybe i will remember a little later down the road.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:39 AM   #10
Taceas
Quote:
Snakes may not, but I've seen my fair share of wild mice dead in a mousetrap with worms poking out of their butts. When the blood stops flowing, the worms usually vacate the premises.

Wild snakes don't have an alternative choice about what they eat. I give my captive snakes a healthy alternative to what's running around outside..the mice I raise myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google