• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Healthy" seed mix?

Bobo's Mama

proud corn mommy!
I'm wondering if any of you guys out there who breed mice and rats think that any kind of seed mix (non lab block) is healthy? I'm trying to give them some variety. I am just feeding Mazuri blocks right now, but for awhile I had some leftover seed mix from before I switched and had both options. They seemed to eat both. I'm just wondering if there is a brand preference. Most of the seed mixes seem so full of corn, which I know isn't the greatest. Any ideas?

I'm personally using two different brands and some added dog food as a treat intomy mixture. Seems to be woring great for me. I mean I'm gettinga lot of babies outof it. But I don't have a preference. But thats just me.

The problem with seed mixes is the fat content. Most rodents will choose those seeds with the highest fat content (such as sunflower seeds) first and often waste the rest.

As a treat, I don't see it being a problem but I would highly recommend against it as a staple.

Mazuri is a complete diet however, and does not need to be supplemented with anything.

I solely feed my rodent Mazuri 5M30 and have done so for several years now with excellent results.

Q

I use homing pigeon mix, which has 3 different kinds of peas; wheat; milo; tiny popping corn, and those tiny wild bird seeds that I have no idea what it is.

I used to use chicken scratch, which is mostly cracked corn, milo, but no peas.

Never use dog food that's colored red. Supposedly the red dye is not good for herp kidneys, and dog kidneys.

Like Quigs, I just feed Mazuri lab block as a primary diet and give weekly treats of a seed mix after their weekly cleaning.

Every seed mix marketed for rodents was a waste of money imho. 90% of the stuff they don't eat and just end up urinating on it.

I just mix together chicken scratch grains (wheat, milo, cracked corn), brown rice, barley, rolled oats, flax seed, hemp seed, and a smidgeon of no-mess wild birdseed. Toss it with some peanut oil so it coats everything and give them some every week.

I posted the recipe I use for my breeder mice in this section, its "seed" based and is a complete diet. Its basically the same ingredients as the upper end bloc diets just not processed. For Snowflake, my pet mouse, I've been using Hagen living world mouse seed mix. Shes at a great weight and very healthy on it. (its too hard to make my recipe for only one mouse, and my freezer space where extra would go is full of..well.. more mice)

Mouse Food

Thats the stuff Snowflake eats, its a great mix and doesn't have a lot of sunflower seeds in it, mostly millet, and she loves it.

I've never fed my mice dog food before, so I don't have an opinion on that. I have given them a couple meal worms as treats tho, they just love them!

I also use a homing pigeon mix... Along with some regular bird seed, small budgie seeds, and some dog food...this works very well for me!

Ryan

And for the nursing mice, I like to give them pieces of cheeseballs. Their babies get nice and big with that little bit of dairy product.

I started this thread, so I might as well finish it! I've been feeding the mice high quality dog food lately. No dyes or added fillers. And I've gotten great results with it. I usually get 15-19 babies. But......I have done a little experiment with the seed mix. I have two bowls of food. One is the dog food, the other is a seed mix. I started this a few weeks ago. The seed mix is hardly even touched, and I've had to fill up the dog food twice already. Maybe they just don't like this brand, or maybe its because they've been eating dog food for so long they don't really recognize the seed mix as food.
shrug01.gif

Back