CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

constantly trying to escape

Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
MissStoli1230
constantly trying to escape

Hector, whom I bought as a hatchling a few months ago, constantly tries to escape from his tank by climbing up into the trees I have in there and trying to push the top off. I have the top totally secure so there is no chance that he will be able to get out, however, he will try for quite a while and sometimes more than once a day. I usually take the top off and instad of trying to make a run for it he comes straight to my hands, I don't even have to try to pick him up, get him out or anything, but I think this is because since I noticed this behavior I wait until he starts to push the top to hold him, so I never have to get him out of a hide or anything. Does anyone else have a snake that does this?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
wade
Personally, I don't think snakes are really what you would call thinking animals. I don't think they try to reason things out. Your snake is exploring and may not remember that he checked out that spot earlier this morning. I don't think he is eager to jump into your loving hands as much as we all would like to think so. I think he has found a new place to go and your hands happen to be there.

Just my opinion. I don't think you will ever teach your snake to roll over or shake hands. The latter for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Stregone
Yeah snakes are primitive animals, to put it nicely Too warm temps can cause a snake to do that sort of thing excessively. If the temps are fine and your snake isn't rubbing his nose raw then consider yourself lucky you don't have one of those snakes you never see unless you hunt them down and grab 'em Even though they are such, uh... 'simple' creatures each one has its own personality.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
mele2511
They are pure esape artists.. My little one found a way out months ago and almost every night still goes back to the same spot. I know this because every morning the wood chips have been pushed away in that spot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google