CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

if you don't handle them alot.. is that bad?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
DaGiant
I handle mine on average 20 min a day 3 days a week,
but not for 2 days after feeding. I have never had one bite me
(except my old King, but he bit all the time). I enjoy handling them
and they calm down after being held awhile too.
With the size of my hands they usually back off when being
picked up but are fine once in hand. I actually have some that
crawl into my hand. I enjoy my snakes and all 15 are healthy,
so I'll keep up what I do.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Silvergrin
Mmm, besides not handling 2 days after eating, nor the first week you get a snake... my personal opinion is the more you handle, the calmer the snake will be when you handle (with reasonable limits, of course!)

I'll bow to others with more experience, but I have raised up at least eight corns from babies to full adults (well over 300g), and another four to "teenagers" (~200g), as well as a couple kenyan sand boas... the corns and kenyans I handled lots when babies are now adults that are mellow to handle, and to remove in and out from their cages. Even though in the last year or two I haven't handled nearly as much. The few babies I didn't handle much (1 adult and the 4 "teenagers"), as well as a pair of adults I got from a breeder that probably weren't handled much either, are much jumpier to take in and out, hold, etc.
The corn itself would probably prefer not to be handled, given a choice, and it's absolutely okay not to handle for a few days, even weeks, but I would say that for it to make a nice pet handling at least once a week for 30 min or so is a good idea.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
ghosthousecorns
I like putting the deli lid on halfway, then putting the snake's head in there and giving it an 'escape' opportunity right into the deli cup.
Though I have too many to handle all of them often anymore, I have noticed feistiness seems to be rather hereditary, the skittish ones often have skittish clutchmates and parents, same thing with the mellower ones!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by shed'n my skin View Post
I like putting the deli lid on halfway, then putting the snake's head in there and giving it an 'escape' opportunity right into the deli cup.
Yep, that's pretty much what I do. Shove their front half in and grab their tail so they pull their back half in after them.
Quote:
Though I have too many to handle all of them often anymore, I have noticed feistiness seems to be rather hereditary, the skittish ones often have skittish clutchmates and parents, same thing with the mellower ones!
My feistiest clutch ever came from two very mellow parents that I paired this past season. EVERY one of the hatchlings were terrors. I kept one from the clutch, and she still gets me now and then.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Wylie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
My feistiest clutch ever came from two very mellow parents that I paired this past season. EVERY one of the hatchlings were terrors. I kept one from the clutch, and she still gets me now and then.
Wow, that's crazy, who'd have thought, sure doesn't seem logical.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google