CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snakes Sharing hides?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Satchurio
Snakes Sharing hides?

well the two corn snakes I have were brought in together and the lady who sold them to me said it shouldn't be a problem housing them together as long as they have enough space. I bought a nice massive aquarium and put lots of spots for them both to hide. However, it seems they are conjoined at the hip because they always pick the same hides! if one moves, the other will follow, regardless of which one moves first. Is this behaviour anything to be concerned about?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
susang
They are likely together because that is optimal space. Corn snakes are solitary creatures. You are having regurg problems this is a sign of stress. You say one is bigger then the other. If you are feeding in the viv this will add additional stress.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
v_various
oh wow, this topic has every reason I've ever read here to seperate them. I'm sure more people will chime in, it seems to a polarized topic here.

Are these your first snakes? If there is one thing most people agree on it's that co-habbing should be done by experienced people. The snakes need to be similar size, sexed by a pro (you didn't say how old they were, if they're babies they could breed too early and the girl could die. Not to mention being constantly harassed by a male is probably not too fun for her). Regurging is a sign of stress and can be really harmfull to your snakes, it might be hard to tell which one doing it if you don't see it happen. Picking the same hide and sitting on top of each other could dominance, but who really knows because snakes *do not* live together like this in the wild. And that to me is the biggest indication of why not to do it.

do a search on co habitation.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
dionythicus
If it's a large enough aquarium, consider adding a divider and making it into two separate vivs, one for each snake. I think most people who say "oh it's ok to keep them together" either are too cheap and lazy to get a set up for each animal or honestly have no idea about the nature of snakes and think they're like mammals. Please separate them to prevent any future health issues.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
StaceyBaybee
Seperate those snakes, snakes arn't meant to be kept together, in the wild snakes don't go round in pairs or groups ever. Actually probably the only time a snake will meet another is when they are going to mate.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyBaybee View Post
Actually probably the only time a snake will meet another is when they are going to mate.
Never mind... (was about to say something about envying snakes...)

Re:cohabbing...Read what is being suggested. Do some searches on the subject. Get informed, then make up your own mind.

If the bigger one someday eats the smaller one, and then dies itself, don't say "I had no idea that could happen." Maybe it never will. Maybe they'll peacefully ignore each other and be fine. Maybe they wont.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google