• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

black rat snake

safire6

So after dinner last night I decided to take a walk at the abandoned golf course near my house. The course has been closed for more than 20 years but the city maintains parts of it for walking trails. Not more than 15 feet from a golf cart path I spot what looked like a black irrigation hose. As I got closer I see it is a large black rat snake! Just what I was hoping to find! As I got very close the snake never tried to move away-he just watched me. I estimate his length at close to 6 feet. (My corn is just a couple inches shy of 5 feet but this guy looked about a foot longer.) I admired him for a long time. This is the first black rat this size I've seen around here. I'll be going back to the golf course more often.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1765 (1).jpg
    IMG_1765 (1).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 115
then after the black rat, I find a box turtle along the same path. good day for reptile watching!

Attachments

• IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 113
Great pics! I'm not sure we have black rat snakes around here. I live in southern Delaware and we for sure have 'Black Snakes'! They are very black and have a mean temperament. They are just not happy snakes. Probably the same breed but a different mind set! :) And the turtle looks like an Eastern Box Turtle. Very pretty!

Great pics! I'm not sure we have black rat snakes around here. I live in southern Delaware and we for sure have 'Black Snakes'! They are very black and have a mean temperament. They are just not happy snakes. Probably the same breed but a different mind set! :) And the turtle looks like an Eastern Box Turtle. Very pretty!

You may be talking about the black racer. I believe they have a meaner temperament than the black rat snake. I believe the turtle is an Eastern box turtle. First one I've seen in a while around here although I'm sure they are common.

Back