CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Vivarium next to gas fire

Old 12-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
angelcornsnake
Vivarium next to gas fire

Hello,

Now that it's getting cold I have a question about my baby corn snake whose vivarium is in the recess next to the chimney breast. We haven't used the gas fire so far but my husband is adamant on switching it on but I'm worried Daisy who is 6 months old might not like it.

Does anybody know if it is safe for a snake to live next to the gas fire?

Many thanks in advance

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Twolunger
Well, since nobody is answering your question I'll address a couple concerns. Is the gas fire going to raise the temperature in her vivarium? I would assume the answer is yes, since that's the main reason for starting the gas fire. Is the temp going to be uncomfortable for her, and will she still have a cool side? Is there going to be a draft caused by the movement of cold air near her recess? I would probably move her vivarium away from the chimney breast, at least during the months when the fire is necessary.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
angelcornsnake
Hello, thank you. No, we wouldn't leave the fire on long enough to significantly change the temperature of the room.. It's just for some evenings, late when we are in the lounge and the heating has turned off for the night. Just a bit of background heat really. It didn't affect her viv temperature plus her cool side is towards the other wall, nor the chimney breast.

I was only concerned about the actual gas .

Old 12-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Twolunger
I don't think the gas would have any real affect on her. I don't know about the UK, but in the US it is common to require an oxygen depletion sensor on such devices. Carbon monoxide is the real concern.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I don't think the gas would have any real affect on her. I don't know about the UK, but in the US it is common to require an oxygen depletion sensor on such devices. Carbon monoxide is the real concern.
I see. I will ask but I'm pretty sure we have it too. Great, I feel more reassured
Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google